When to process

I reread that and think I can be clearer...maybe...

Store bought chicken meat is misnamed. Any chicken meat you purchase at the market is a broiler. They use the old terms of cornish hen, fryer and roaster but in reality they are labeling by size and no bird processed is older than 10 or 11 weeks. Dual purpose birds and methods allowed to cook them traditionally is where all the names come from. Over 60 years ago, before the fast growing meat bird hybrids of today if you went to the butcher and purchased a broiler chicken it would be 15 weeks or younger. A fryer bird would be 20 weeks or younger and a roaster would be under a year old. Then you had stew birds which are older than one year. That's it in a nutshell. Naming birds by cooking method to denote age. It was common knowledge back then that a fryer was too tough to broil/grill and a roaster too tough to either grill or fry. And of course a Corish Game hen was a true Cornish bird, also know by Indian Game back then hence the mash of names for bred of bird Cornish and Game.

I reread that and think I can be clearer...maybe...

Store bought chicken meat is misnamed. Any chicken meat you purchase at the market is a broiler. They use the old terms of cornish hen, fryer and roaster but in reality they are labeling by size and no bird processed is older than 10 or 11 weeks. Dual purpose birds and methods allowed to cook them traditionally is where all the names come from. Over 60 years ago, before the fast growing meat bird hybrids of today if you went to the butcher and purchased a broiler chicken it would be 15 weeks or younger. A fryer bird would be 20 weeks or younger and a roaster would be under a year old. Then you had stew birds which are older than one year. That's it in a nutshell. Naming birds by cooking method to denote age. It was common knowledge back then that a fryer was too tough to broil/grill and a roaster too tough to either grill or fry. And of course a Corish Game hen was a true Cornish bird, also know by Indian Game back then hence the mash of names for bred of bird Cornish and Game.
Incredibly interesting! It totally makes sense - call it what you'll be cooking it! We will have to process all of them at the same time, so, since they're our own hatches, there will be a batch that's 3+ weeks older than the other. (Smaller incubator)

I like to butcher at 14 - 16 weeks. After butchering I let them rest in the fridge for 3 - 4 days before putting them in the freezer. Most dual breeds at this age will be 2.5lbs or so dressed.

Back
Top Bottom