When to put chicks in run

Buddys mom

Chirping
May 28, 2023
Hi all, I live in the high desert in California. I have three 4 week old and two 3 1/2 week old chicks. The weather is warm to hot. When can they go out in the baby coop and run that I have inside my regular run. I'm trying to get my two 2 1/2 month old buckeyes and them integrated. Thanks for your help!

if its warm they can go out at 7-10 days imo .. just make sure your wire size can contain them, they have shade, water .. and depending on nightime conditions you may want to put them up in a safer more stable place until theyre acclimated .. but at 3-4 weeks wont be a problem .. just be sure your setup is bulletproof or a predator 'will' get young birds, the peeping is irresistable to most predators ..

if its warm they can go out at 7-10 days imo .. just make sure your wire size can contain them, they have shade, water .. and depending on nightime conditions you may want to put them up in a safer more stable place until theyre acclimated .. but at 3-4 weeks wont be a problem .. just be sure your setup is bulletproof or a predator 'will' get young birds, the peeping is irresistable to most predators ..
We'll have them in a larger run with their own coop and mini run with hardware cloth. Our big run is made of some of those heavy dog kennel panels from TSC so they should be safe. Weve already had ravens try to get at them when on "field trips" outside in the run.😠Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom