when to put chicks outside??

kaileen20

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 14, 2014
I have 8 pullets and they are 10 weeks old and I put them outside from being in our garage with their heating lamp 3 weeks ago and so 2 days ago I took the heating lamp out of their coop but have a tarp and blanket Over their coop, they seem to be fine since they are fully feathered, but tonight I walked outside and it was a little warm out but it was lightly raining and they where huddled On the hay stack in the rain instead of in their coop, is that normal??? I guess in just being paranoid of loosing them but will they be okay during the winter without the heating lamp? Did I make the right decision of removing it? I make sure their coop is fully protected from the wind and rain, plus they are fully feathered, just need peace of mind! Thank you!

Yea they are, they where huddled next to the hay stack? That's the first time I've ever seen them do that..

I always lock the chickens in their coop for a week before letting them out. This way they have adjusted to their new home, found their favorite spot on the roost, and established their pecking order. I have a night light in my coop but no heat lamp. Just my opinion but a heat lamp can cause birds to fight over who gets to be directly underneath it and is a good way to burn down your coop. In warm weather chickens will roost further apart and in cold weather they will roost closer together.

I learned this the hard way. I have one batch of chickens that to this day roost outside the coop (even in the rain and snow). I only locked them in the coop one night when I first moved them from the brooder. All my other chickens were locked in for a week and roost in the coops at night.

Back
Top Bottom