when to put in coop?

deejeff442

Songster
9 Years
Jun 27, 2013
my chicks are just a week old most already have feathers. they eat a ton. how do i know when they can go to the coop? the weather here is around 100 daytime and 75-80 at night. no hurry but i figure at least a couple more weeks.i can add a heat lamp at night if i need to.the coop is all covered and has a roof .same as in my avitar pic.

Ours are 2 weeks old and I just transitioned them into their coop with a heat lamp set to turn on from dusk til dawn (as temps are getting down into the 60's this week). I'll keep them in the coop for the next 2 weeks as I finish the run, then start letting them out into the run.

Well daytime you should be good without a heat lamp. Maybe a 125-150 watt one for night? I'd put them in the coop if it were me. Good luck!

i have patience but they are in a good sized dog kennel which worked perfect. thanks for the advise. i am going to wait at least another week or 10 days. my 1st hatch and i cant believe how fast they grow .i have had friends who get them a week old and not had a problem withgoing straight to the coop. but i like to research and do the best i can.

Back
Top Bottom