When To Re-home a Rooster

I had a 9 month old Plymouth Rock rooster that turned pretty aggressive around 7 months. He started attacking my 10 YO grandson and then started on me.

We ate him tonight and he was delicious baked! The ONLY thing to do when you get an aggressive rooster is eat him. They don't get better.
I disagree.Roosters tend to get an unfair break,simply because people don't understand them.I had two Rhode Island red boys that used to kick the daylights out of my shins.So I would pick them up and carry them around,cradling them in my arms so they couldn't kick,which calmed them down.They eventually became like big babies,very calm and easy to handle.Remember-they ARE roosters,and in some,the defensive trait runs strong.They do it out of fear.If they lose their fear,they will no longer attack.I have had 100% success,and NEVER put one down-and I have a LOT of roosters,all kinds of breeds.

I'm sorry, but it's one of the sad realities about keeping chickens that the natural home of a badly-behaved rooster is the freezer. :(

VERY few people are ever willing to take on someone else's problem cockerel -- except when it's the offer of a free meal.
I have taken on LOTS of other people's "problems" with a comb and two legs-and have been 100% successful into turning the orneriest roosters into big babies.The secret is in understanding how a rooster reacts and why,and modifying his behaviour.It takes TIME and PATIENCE,but to me,very rewarding that I have saved another "unwanted problem" roo from the pot. I now have some really good boys!

I have taken on LOTS of other people's "problems" with a comb and two legs-and have been 100% successful into turning the orneriest roosters into big babies.The secret is in understanding how a rooster reacts and why,and modifying his behaviour.It takes TIME and PATIENCE,but to me,very rewarding that I have saved another "unwanted problem" roo from the pot. I now have some really good boys!
I disagree.Roosters tend to get an unfair break,simply because people don't understand them.I had two Rhode Island red boys that used to kick the daylights out of my shins.So I would pick them up and carry them around,cradling them in my arms so they couldn't kick,which calmed them down.They eventually became like big babies,very calm and easy to handle.Remember-they ARE roosters,and in some,the defensive trait runs strong.They do it out of fear.If they lose their fear,they will no longer attack.I have had 100% s

While that's all very nice for someone who decides he wants to get beaten up by roosters and is willing to endure this (I suppose you are an adult), an aggressive rooster is a serious danger to children (attack often directed at their eyes!) and a constant liability when there are other people endangered.
Some roosters are just too dense to distinguish the caregiver from a real danger and it is just not worth the trouble as there are a lot of good ones causing not trouble at all.

I raised a R.R.rooster from hatch. He loved me. Would sleep in an old slipper of mine in the garage. About 9 months old he attacked me and my granddaughter. Gave her a cut on the chin. We took her to a walk in clinic to be sure nothing serious. My husband shot him. When the hormones click in there is usually no turning back. Will never keep another on our farm. Better safe than sorry.

While that's all very nice for someone who decides he wants to get beaten up by roosters and is willing to endure this (I suppose you are an adult), an aggressive rooster is a serious danger to children (attack often directed at their eyes!) and a constant liability when there are other people endangered.
Some roosters are just too dense to distinguish the caregiver from a real danger and it is just not worth the trouble as there are a lot of good ones causing not trouble at all.
Well,while I respect your view of it,I have to smile at the idea you put forth of a 250 pound man being "beaten up" by an 8 pound rooster! And that my brain,which is about 3 pounds cannot outwit a roosters,which is the size of a pea.Chickens are amazingly smart animals,despite that,as I have observed their behavior for over 50 years.I guess what it really boils down to,is what you said-whether it is worth it or not.To you,maybe not-but to me,and my boys,who get to live out the rest of their natural lives,instead of winding up on a dinner plate--it is VERY worth it!

I know that I'm biased in favor of roosters,guys-but when I look at all the fine boys I have today,that would have been put down otherwise,and if you all were to see them now,you would understand why I defend them.And why,to me,it IS worth the trouble.

Well,while I respect your view of it,I have to smile at the idea you put forth of a 250 pound man being "beaten up" by an 8 pound rooster! And that my brain,which is about 3 pounds cannot outwit a roosters,which is the size of a pea.Chickens are amazingly smart animals,despite that,as I have observed their behavior for over 50 years.I guess what it really boils down to,is what you said-whether it is worth it or not.To you,maybe not-but to me,and my boys,who get to live out the rest of their natural lives,instead of winding up on a dinner plate--it is VERY worth it!
The good thing is that everyone can do as they see fit.

Our neighbour was a tall and strongly built man and he loved his numerous fowl dearly and cared for them with all his heart.
His beloved rooster turned into a nightmare that was ambushing him however and wherever he could. The rooster even climbed the fence to hide behind the pidgeonry when he saw him leaving the house, to then jump on his back or head fiercely attacking the man, leaving his face covered in blood and then nasty scars.
Even though the wife was terrified of the rooster and visitors refused to come by, the man still defended him and kept on cooing and acting as if it was still a cute chick.

One day after another attack out of the blue, he got one of the man's eyes and caused severe damage. Only the threat of his wife to leave and divorce him finally brought him back to his senses and he finally butchered the aggressive bird who was already leaving the yard and starting to terrorize other people. He did not care for the other chickens, he was on the hunt for people.

I breed French La Flèche and French Black Copper Marans for more than 20 years and always have a lot of cockerels/roosters from different lineages to choose from.
One thing I noticed over the years is, that the overly aggressive ones usually don't necessarily make the best roosters for their flock, as their overly aggressive behaviour leads to a permanent high stress level in the flock, thus making them more susceptible to parasites and illness.

Back
Top Bottom