When to refrigerate

Gkundern

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2020
If I don't get the eggs first thing, they are basically sitting out there in a refrigerator. Do I then need to put them in the fridge when I bring them in?

I have been just leaving them in a bowl on the counter, but I didn't know if it's cold outside of its like putting them in the fridge and taking them out again. Does that make sense?

I have been just leaving them in a bowl on the counter, but I didn't know if it's cold outside of its like putting them in the fridge and taking them out again. Does that make sense?
Refrigerate the day they are laid.. let me explain since this is something I feel is highly misinformed..

First, leaving them outside is inviting rats and other vermin to start stealing them.

Second, yes.. it's VERY much like taking them in and out of the fridge.. overnight and day time temps fluctuate heavily.. even here on the California coast about 10 degrees.

I have stored eggs at outside temps for about 4 months.. only the ones that had unseen cracks and allowed bacteria in grew rotten. However ALL of them diminished in QUALITY.. thinner white, easier to break yolk, and even weaker shells.. Yes, most were SAFE to eat.. but evaporation also thickened some of the contents.. and the yolk stuck to the shell from not being turned.

I have kept eggs in a skelter on the counter.. at about 60 degrees.. again, safe to eat but by the end of week or so.. quality IS diminishing.

But stored unwashed in the fridge.. even 6 months later.. are as fresh and still more delicious and nutritious than store bought eggs! Refrigeration preserves QUALITY longer than not.

So if family is coming or eggs will be eaten in under a week.. fine store at room temp. But any stock piles will be better served at a CONSTANT temperature from day one through use.

Chicken math bit me hard.. I hardly eat eggs.. but ended up with 82+ birds at one time.. :oops:

Also.. a bowl may not allow for first in first out usage. FIFO is always important. AND storing pointy end DOWN ALSO helps preserve maximum freshness. :)

Refrigerate the day they are laid.. let me explain since this is something I feel is highly misinformed..

First, leaving them outside is inviting rats and other vermin to start stealing them.

Second, yes.. it's VERY much like taking them in and out of the fridge.. overnight and day time temps fluctuate heavily.. even here on the California coast about 10 degrees.

I have stored eggs at outside temps for about 4 months.. only the ones that had unseen cracks and allowed bacteria in grew rotten. However ALL of them diminished in QUALITY.. thinner white, easier to break yolk, and even weaker shells.. Yes, most were SAFE to eat.. but evaporation also thickened some of the contents.. and the yolk stuck to the shell from not being turned.

I have kept eggs in a skelter on the counter.. at about 60 degrees.. again, safe to eat but by the end of week or so.. quality IS diminishing.

But stored unwashed in the fridge.. even 6 months later.. are as fresh and still more delicious and nutritious than store bought eggs! Refrigeration preserves QUALITY longer than not.

So if family is coming or eggs will be eaten in under a week.. fine store at room temp. But any stock piles will be better served at a CONSTANT temperature from day one through use.

Chicken math bit me hard.. I hardly eat eggs.. but ended up with 82+ birds at one time.. :oops:

Also.. a bowl may not allow for first in first out usage. FIFO is always important. AND storing pointy end DOWN ALSO helps preserve maximum freshness. :)
I am the same way. I rarely eat eggs, but I am obsessed with getting them and having all the colors etc 🤪 I bake with them and give about a dozen a week to the homeless shelter. It’s not my fault my pets lay eggs! Lol

If I don't get the eggs first thing, they are basically sitting out there in a refrigerator. Do I then need to put them in the fridge when I bring them in?
In winter I still leave them on the counter.
Only if they need washing(which is done completely and thoroughly) do they get refrigerated afterwards.
The thing about bringing eggs out of the fridge is condensation,
not likely to happen in a heated house in winter.....not enough humidity.
I eat or sell my eggs within a week or two.
I did stash some eggs for the winter slow down, 4 dozen, 'clean' but unwashed in the fridge.

How cold does it get where you are @Gkundern ?
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1608042715077.png

I try to fetch the eggs within 20-30 minutes of laying (I only have 3 hens so it's easy for me). But if I can't do it soon enough, and it's freezing outside and the eggs are cold to the touch, I put them in the refrigerator straightaway. Otherwise, I keep them on the counter.

Sometimes, if the eggs are a bit chilly when I get them, I will let them sit in a cool room in the basement and then gradually warm up to room temperature and then I'll put them on the counter.

In winter I still leave them on the counter.
Only if they need washing(which is done completely and thoroughly) do they get refrigerated afterwards.
The thing about bringing eggs out of the fridge is condensation,
not likely to happen in a heated house in winter.....not enough humidity.
I eat or sell my eggs within a week or two.
I did stash some eggs for the winter slow down, 4 dozen, 'clean' but unwashed in the fridge.

How cold does it get where you are @Gkundern ?
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2450276
Thanks for the tip, I will do that

Back
Top Bottom