When to retreat for lice

Sparklewina

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 8, 2012
Red Bluff, Ca
After careful management for three years with no problems, I suddenly have lice on my chickens. I first noticed bugs on some chicks, I dusted them with Y-Tex/Gardstar Poultry Dust which contains permethrin. Most of the chicks did not survive, the one who did is doing well and is bug free.

I decided to dose all of my adult birds with topical ivermectin which I had on hand to treat my pigs preventatively for parasites. It's Noromectin 1% for Cattle and Swine, there are no label instructions for treating chickens. I've read that other people use Ivermectin for chickens topically, but at a higher strength per dose (5% if I'm not mistaken). This 1% Ivermectin used topically did successfully treat one of my mom's hens with severe Scaly Leg mites so I believed it would work for this lice issue that has effected some of my adult birds. I dosed the adult birds I could grab 3 days ago. Not all of them have evidence of lice eggs, but the ones that do have not shown any change. I can still see eggs on their butts.

My question is: Should I retreat the adult birds I've already dosed with Ivermectin? If so, should I hit them with Iver again? Or Poultry Dust/Permethrin? Bathe them with flea shampoo? Leave them alone and check back after a certain period of time?

I have treated some of their dust bathing spots with unmedicated DE, but I really want to be thorough with knocking the lice out that are already on my birds. Mostly because it's just so gross!

Thank you!

Can anyone advise if treating with Ivermectin topically is safe if repeated every 7 days? I'll redust the coop with Poultry Dust at the 4 day mark (one of my hens just started brooding in there, the chickens don't sleep in there at night during the summer).

Lice need to be retreated at 7 and 14 days.
http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000790_Rep811.pdf

I have no idea on the ivermectin. Personally I would stick with dusting them with permethrin poultry dust.

The nits can be removed after the bugs are dead with unrefined coconut oil, I have read. It may take a week or so for them to come off or disappear after the oil application. Some people cut the feathers out but I personally would not, as you may encounter a blood feather.

Keep in mind that I have only dealt with mites, not lice, and here is another link:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig140

Back
Top Bottom