When to return chicken?

ascott11

Chirping
Apr 26, 2020
Hi everyone!

I just had a chicken get attacked by what the vet said was a hawk. She got stitched up by the vet and is on the road to healing! My question is when do I return her to the flock? I do have roosters with my hens and I’m not sure when would be the right time. I don’t want the other chickens to pick on her because she was removed. I also don’t want her to get used to being in a warm house and not in the cold. Any advice would be wonderful!

How long since the attack has she been separated? I would try her back in the coop in a wire dog crate with food and water secured ro the side. Then progress to some supervised free ranging. When I have broody hens separated for breaking, I like to get them back into the flock in 5 days. There might some pecking if separated longer. As long as they can see her in the dog crate, she should remain part of the flock.

The attack happened just today. I was going to keep in her the dog crate in the house tonight just to monitor her, but put it by the coop tomorrow. Should I let her sleep with the others after tonight and then put her in the dog crate in the morning?

Attachments

• 43F5244E-FA2D-4972-A560-683C37CB9ED7.jpeg
    43F5244E-FA2D-4972-A560-683C37CB9ED7.jpeg
    703.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 8943FE29-9002-4D80-82ED-9BF1E1398B22.jpeg
    8943FE29-9002-4D80-82ED-9BF1E1398B22.jpeg
    681.1 KB · Views: 4
I would probably keep her in the dog crate, but keep her with the others. They may peck at her wound and reinjure it. When some healing has taken place and the wound is not so noticeable, then do some supervised free ranging to see how they act.

I would probably keep her in the dog crate, but keep her with the others. They may peck at her wound and reinjure it. When some healing has taken place and the wound is not so noticeable, then do some supervised free ranging to see how they act.

Will it be ok to do free range? I’m super nervous to let them back out again after today!

Back
Top Bottom