When to start ducklings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Wfpendragon, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Wfpendragon

Wfpendragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Hey all I'm looking to get three Pekins in the next month or so. Living in Wisconsin I was wondering when would be a good time to order them? This would be my first time with ducks. At what age can they go outside up here?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  2. QuackSpeak

QuackSpeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2017
    Ducks are usually fully feathered at around 8 weeks (Varies slightly depending on breed/individuals). So, they're spending 2 months inside the house or the garage, protected from the cold (Some people let ducks live outside earlier than that, but if it's cold, I would advise you keep them inside for two months or so). Once they're fully feathered, and if the weather's relatively good, I would let them outside in their pen. But if the weather gets too cold, I would put them back inside until the weather clears.
    Hope I helped!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  3. Wfpendragon

Wfpendragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Thanks that does help! :) In that case I'll plan on ordering mid March. They should be 8 weeks by early may which during that time it's getting warmer here. Also is a snap set kiddie pool a good brooder for them? At least till they get big

4. QuackSpeak

Jan 1, 2017
  5. QuackSpeak

Jan 1, 2017
    And yes, I'd think that would be a good brooder. Ducks (Especially Pekins - WOW) grow fast, so the bigger the better! But a lot of people use (Hopefully dry lol) kiddie pools as brooders

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by