When to start peppers?

The pink grow bulb would probably work for germination but the full spectrum would work better for actual growth. The main thing that determines if they will work well for you or not is size and ability to move them up and down. Basically you will be limited by the amount of area that your light can illuminate fully, as any plants on the parameter will get leggy or simply fail. Placing them closer to the light at first (by moving it down or putting them on some kind of platform) will help prevent legginess. After that you'd just move them down (or the light up) as they get taller.

I can make anything work. I just wasn’t sure what I should try first.
I do have a nice long fluorescent light that I didn’t even consider using. It would be sure all plants are fully lighted. The led full spectrum light would also fully cover everything. The pink light would be the spotty one since that’s just a round bulb and not a long light.

Thank you for explaining that. I’ll try using the different lights as I go.

We are growing about 20 varieties this year (from all five commonly cultivated spp), and the start time really depends on the variety. Generally speaking, the hotter the pepper, the earlier we start them, as those seeds can take a long time to germinate. Using a seed germination accelerator (i.e., potassium nitrate (KNO3)) can make a big difference. So can a heat mat, and controlled cold treatment. Eight weeks before hardening-off is the "standard" answer for when to plant inside, but it really does vary. We switched to full spectrum LEDs this year.

Back
Top Bottom