When to start providing Oyster Shell for Ducks

Ronnie_

Chirping
Mar 1, 2023
Hi everyone!
I wanted to get some opinions on when to start putting out Oyster shell for my girls. My ladies (2 khaki kampbells, 1 Cayuga) will be 13 weeks this Wednesday. When is a good time to put some oyster shell out in their enclosure?
They already have free access to grit, and we are transitioning them now to a new feed mix that has 3% calcium to get them ready for their first egg (expecting that to be 16 weeks).
I wanted to pit out oyster shell too in case they need a bit more or so then they will be getting. Any tips on when to make that available to them?

(Added Photo for Duck Tax🦆)

Attachments

• 2A8A4382-54CE-4521-9171-FBF5E2A0065F.png
    2A8A4382-54CE-4521-9171-FBF5E2A0065F.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 172
Around 4 months put it out in a separate bowl they will eat it as they need it. Many domestics start mating anywhere from 4-5 months old and usually lay anywhere from 2-4 weeks after mating starts.unless you have Muscovy which can mean 8-9 months before mating and laying.
Okay! I don’t have any drakes right now. Do certain breeds start laying earlier than others? I have only the Cayuga and Khaki Kampbells right now. I’ll wait till 16 weeks to put it out 😊

Well, I started out with Muscovy and they didn't start breeding and laying till 8-9 months old then I wanted Runners and Buffs, and boy did they surprise me they were mating at 4 months and laying at 4.5 months. I think most domestic other than Muscovy do lay around 4-5 months old.

Back
Top Bottom