When to start winterizing run

When? Now, if not two weeks ago.

Really, I do mine on a nice day when it's starting to get down to the 40s at night. Because I know if I wait, I'll get busy with other fall chores like garden cleanup, raking leaves, helping DH with his projects.

The chickens like the wind breaks, that for sure. And so do I when I go in to clean and refill feed and water.

When? Now, if not two weeks ago.

Really, I do mine on a nice day when it's starting to get down to the 40s at night. Because I know if I wait, I'll get busy with other fall chores like garden cleanup, raking leaves, helping DH with his projects.

The chickens like the wind breaks, that for sure. And so do I when I go in to clean and refill feed and water.
I will start this week! Thanks!

It is probably time. Doing it on a warm day makes it more pleasant work We did ours recently. We plugged in the water deicer late October. The clear shower curtains withstood a major wind storm last week. Note the shower curtains under the raised coop have now been in place for a full year. Our next warm day we will dig out some of the compost and add it to the closed veggie garden. Then we will clean out the pine shavings in the coop and place them in the enclosed run.
What water deicer do you use? I’m looking for one too haha

I winterize the run well before it gets so cold my hands start getting numb while I'm doing the work. My tarps went up 2 weeks ago.
Hopefully i’ll be able to do it this thursday as the temp will be 70 so i don’t get those numbers hands! I hate doing work outside in the cold and wind

What water deicer do you use? I’m looking for one too haha
I think this is the model I have.

Farm Innovators Model C-50 Premium Cast Aluminum Birdbath De-Icer, 150-Watt​

I have had it for many, many years. I haven't started using it yet this year. No reason to spend money on the electric unless the water freezes solid in an hour or less.

I would suggest looking at bird bath de-icers in general. But... you want something that will not break if run dry, is safe to sit on rubber/plastic and is safe to touch.

I think this is the model I have.

Farm Innovators Model C-50 Premium Cast Aluminum Birdbath De-Icer, 150-Watt​

I have had it for many, many years. I haven't started using it yet this year. No reason to spend money on the electric unless the water freezes solid in an hour or less.

I would suggest looking at bird bath de-icers in general. But... you want something that will not break if run dry, is safe to sit on rubber/plastic and is safe to touch.
What size bucket are you using? Mine is like 2 gallons and i’m afraid it’s going to make the water super hot

Back
Top Bottom