When to start worrying

marzullol

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 4, 2012
South of Atlanta Georgia
Set a dozen eggs on February 28th about 9:30 at night.

Temp stayed between 99 and 102 degrees thoughout incubation.

Was thinking 21 full days would be the 21st or 22nd.

Took out turner on the 19th, added water and closed up the incubator.

Yesterday, the 20th we had a chick hatch about 9:15 am.

Had second hatch at 7:45 last night, and had one pip and zip about the same time, maybe a second one pip, then nothing. It has been over 24 hours and we have not seen anything.

Now we have another chick just pip and started zipping.

We have not been fussing and paying with the eggs, only took 2 out to candle and since they had dark brown shell cound not see anything so left them alone thinking the less handling the better.

I have read the link for when to assist and it has stopped me from getting involved.

When should we remove the two hatched chick? Is it normal for eggs to take several days between chick to hatch? Are the chick safe with a possible dead chick in the incubator?

I had though we might only have a 1/3 hatch since it was our first time. I never knew I would hurt so bad thinking we killed the chicks. I have been close to tears tonight. Any advice would be helpful and appreciated.

I don't really know what to do. You can take the chicks out whenever you want, but you just have to make sure you don't lose your moisture. I usually leave them in there (for the night if they hatched at night, or for the day if they hatched during the day) and then I set them in their brooder awhile after so they can wander around and explore. :) I've hatched a few times and I always get really antsy when it comes to hatching. It's your first hatch, yes? Even if the chick didn't make it, you didn't do it purposely. We've ALL made mistakes, including me. You'll get better at it the more you hatch.
hugs.gif
Good luck!

Let it ride. You can leave the chicks in the incubator or you cant take them out. doesnt matter. if you're taking them out make it quick.

Lots of chicks don't make it and it is hard to know why. If you have the brooder ready, take out those that have hatched. If you are quick it won't make any difference really if the others hatch or not. Remove any that are dead because they can really stink and the opened shell also begin to grow bacteria. I tried it the other way, leaving things alone and all the junk in the bator. I ended up loosing all the rest of them because there were just not enough fresh air and too much humidity. I prefer a dry hatch with not extra humidity. I just keep a look out if they may start to dry out. Each person has their own methods and truth is,...some and even a lot will still die.

You poor thing. I understand your tears completely. My first try nothing hatched but two came close and I absolutely sobbed at a couple stages. What eventually consoled me that nature was taking its part was reading about how vitamin deficiencies can make the chick stop developing at certain stages. Of course if that was what went wrong, it was still because I didn't feed the right nutrients but it was something I could fix and wasn't something wrong with the incubation process. Id say prioritize the ones that hatched, give the others time and give yourself. Plenty of time to chill out, read and plan for next time :) it'll be ok. If you're like me, nothing anyone can say can make you not feel responsible but they still might be ok and without you, those two that hatched wouldn't have so you've added to the world, not taken away :) sorry for the big message, just feel for ya.

Back
Top Bottom