1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when to stop turning

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sinclairmic, Feb 23, 2016.

1. sinclairmic

sinclairmic Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2016
    Hi. I put chinese painted eggs in the incubator on the 10th in the afternoon. Tomorrow will be 14 days including not counting the 10th as a day. Should I not turn them as of tomorrow or turn on the 14th and stop afterwards?

Thanks

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    If I remember rightly painted quail hatch in 18 days. Lockdown should begin 2 to 3 days before hatch day. I would turn them until and including the 15th day and then lockdown the morning of the 16th day; the 26th.

3. GPBII

GPBII Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2015
    Raleigh, NC
    I would continue to turn them tomorrow. I've had eggs hatch on the automatic turner before! (by accident, not intentionally!)

4. Em Ty

Em Ty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2013
    St. Clements, ON
    I turn coturnix eggs until the end of day 14 (14 - 24 hour periods) and then stop, so they don't get turned on day 15. They start hatching halfway through day 16, so that gives them 1-1/2 days of no turning at a minimum.

I just worry that they'll hatch early and not have time to position themselves, but I hatched upright, so it probably doesn't matter.

5. sinclairmic

Feb 10, 2016
    thanks for all the replies, are chinese painted quail the same as button quail?

6. GPBII

GPBII Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2015
    Raleigh, NC
    The Chinese Painted Quail (Excalfactoria Chinensis) is also known as the Button Quail.

7. Em Ty

Em Ty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2013
    St. Clements, ON
    Button quail can hatch at 16 days, sometimes earlier.

8. sinclairmic

Feb 10, 2016
    The humidity has increased to 60% from 45%. I am going to leave the eggs now and not open the incubator again.hopefully I will have chicks in a couple of days :)

9. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    So exciting! Button chicks are so cute. Fingers crossed!
    I have a button hen in my room, whom I think might have just become broody! At least she spent the night on her 7 eggs, which she has never done before. She wasn't on the nest when I left this morning, but I hope she just left it to eat. She is naturally incubated herself and almost 6 months old.

10. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    And sometimes later. When my hens brooded naturally it took 18 days. I also know that in incubators it can be sooner or later than the 18 days depending on the temperature of the incubator. A degree one way or the other can cause hatch times to vary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by