When to switch from pullet to layer feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by absinor, Nov 5, 2008.

1. absinor

absinor Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2008
    My girls are 17 weeks. We're just about to finish a bag of pullet feed.

Is it time to switch to layer feed (noticing combs getting redder) or wait until they are actually laying? Same with oyster shell?

I don't want to start a 50lb bag of pullet feed if they are close to ready for layer feed.

Obviously I'm a newbie:)

They are black australorps, buff orpington and golden sex-link.

Thanks!!!

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I have always waited until I actually get my first egg before switching as that is what my feed dealer told me. It seems to work fine [​IMG]

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine are golden sex links, we received eggs at 16 weeks 3 days. I began to mix layer feed into the last of my grower feed at that time.
    The goldens should be producing any day- enjoy![​IMG]

4. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

If they have directions on the bag I would go by that. If not you could start at 18-20 weeks so they have all the things to lay an egg in them.

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Since sex-links are known to often start laying around 17 weeks old, it wouldn't hurt if you switched over to the layer feed now.

What I did, since you have a few more weeks before getting eggs from the Australorp and Orp, was to get a bag of Flock Raiser, then when all the chickens were 20 weeks old I switched over to straight layer pellets.

If you can't get Flock Raiser then I'd probably mix a bag of Grower and Layer and then when that's gone I'd go straight Layer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by