When to switch to grower?

Mike32

Songster
10 Years
May 16, 2009
Pecos, NM
I have 3 week old pullets and am wondering when to switch from starter to grower. They are growing rapidly and have gone more than half way through a 50 lb bag of starter. I was planning on keeping them on the starter until they finished it all but I will be getting some more chicks around the 13th so thought I would switch them if it would be better for them and save the rest of the starter for the newbies. It really doesn't matter to me because either way I need to go to the feed store. Just wondering what's better for them at this age.

Actually you are supposed to use starter for 0-8 weeks then grower/finisher for 8-18 weeks. Lastly finish it off with laying mash from 18 weeks until they start laying.

The only feeds available here are starter/grower, there are none that are one or the other (that I have seen). I fed all my birds (adults and chicks) starter until I got well over the 100 bird mark, then it just got too expensive! I don't think it will hurt them to leave them on starter.

What brand of feed do you get that is one or the other?

My local feed store makes all of theirs and no price difference between them!
8 weeks on the starter then the grower unless he's freezer bound.We switch to layer around 18-20 weeks depending on the breeds I have in that particular pasture-early vs normal lay time.
That said winter is coming on and I have a bunch about 10 weeks old that are still on starter-it really helps them feather fast and well..a little extra during the fall transition
For us a trip to the feed store includes chick starter, pullet grower,layer,finisher and a very high quality scratch(not that corn scratch most sell) every week and throw in the horse/donkey food
big_smile.png

With chickens and food, is it the same for all types or do some chickens 'require' something different? Thanx in advance!...

We have 2-4mth olds, 2-3mth olds and 2-2mth olds and will switch all from starter when the youngest gets to 18wks or one of the older lays an egg...These are silkies, any issues with this plan?...

Back
Top Bottom