When to take away Roo's

yellowchick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 15, 2008
C, Arkansas
I have 14 week old BO's. 9 girls and 3 roo's. When do I need to get rid of the 2 extra roo's? One is crowing and has been for 3 weeks now. He is also the one I'm keeping, the other 2 are dinner. I can't separate them because I only have one coop.

The best time to butcher them is before they start crowing/mating. Once they're mature, hormones will turn the meat dark, tough, and gamey.

I didn't know that until I read Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens! The first rooster I tried eating was almost 2, and it was a total waste of time. The meat was as dark and tough as shoe leather... and that was after I stewed him all day in a crock pot!

Storey also advises keeping cleaned birds in the fridge for a couple of days before cooking or freezing them. It ages the meat and makes it more tender.

Kathy in Texas

So you have to eat them by 12 weeks then? There is nothing to them at that time, however I never had a rooster not crow by 12 weeks. I had always heard 6 months or so for dual purpose breeds.

I noticed this weekend that the roo we're keeping is starting to mate with the girls. They will all be 15 weeks old this Wednesday. Should I also put the nesting boxes in the coop?

Update this thred when you eat your roo's, I would like to know also because I have 10 BR roos that are 5 weeks old and they are going to be dinner.

Quote:
yup,, the sooner you put them in, the sooner they get used to it,, and the sooner they can start practicing
wink.png

Just a suggestion and possibly not right so hopefully someone else with knowledge will chime in but...If I had roos I knew I was gonna eat i would probably finish them out a couple weeks on some high protein grower feed and add a few extra pounds to them before butchering.

Back
Top Bottom