When to turn out ducks?

Pics

sniper338

Songster
9 Years
Dec 15, 2013
San Antonio, Texas
When can ducklings go outside to the coop?

4 weeks old, not many, if any feathers yet. Domestic mallards..

50s to 70s degrees during the day, down to 30 to 45 degrees at night, usually one colder spell a week, quite windy most days...

Pics of upcoming weather forecast
20200218_212846.jpg

Last edited:
One of my broody Rhodie hens just hatched two duck eggs about 2 weeks ago that I found by the creek. I thought they might be turkey eggs.
Those little duckies are giving it hell on heels! They've never been inside and have been outside since they hatched. At just a little over 2 weeks old, they have quit sleeping under their Momma since it's been in the 50s and 60s at night. They run around all over the property with the rest of the free range chickens in the day. Boy Howdy, they sure grow faster than chickens! They are huge even if the have no feathers and are just covered in down. The last 2 nights I've had to put them to bed with their Momma because they are wanting to sleep on the ground under the coop by themselves. Luckily I have a good LGD that loves his babies! 🐣 🐤 🐥 He keeps an eye on them while patrolling the property and the rest of the birds, day and night. He got a hawk the other day that tried to get one of his chickens!
Woo Hoo!
He didn't kill it but he got it off his chicken!
Hopefully it won't be back.

These 4 week old ducks are quite big for 4 weeks old. Finding and getting their quack on already. Still all covered in down, but they sure are big for no feathers yet.

Were these from the first batch of only five survivors or the second batch? In case until the temps are higher or they're fully feather they need to be indoors at least while it's colder.

Back
Top Bottom