When to worry about no eggs?

oaklandmama

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 20, 2011
Oakland, CA
We've got two white leghorns that started laying around 18-20 weeks. They're coming up on 26 weeks, and the leghorns haven't laid any eggs for five days. Before the two of them made one or two a day. I can't find any hidden eggs (there aren't really places for them to hide them in the coop).

Sometime last week I found evidence of an eaten egg, there was a wet sticky spot in one of the nest boxes, but no egg or shell. I just assumed it was one of the other girls who had laid a shell-less started egg and didn't think much of it. Wouldn't there be more evidence if the leghorns were laying every day and eating their eggs? We've been getting a Welsummer egg once a day, and that egg is untouched. Wouldn't an egg eater eat all the eggs?

I'm a confused chicken newbie. There aren't very many feathers around, so I wouldn't think they are molting. If they're molting will they stop cold like that? The two leghorns don't seem sick at all.
hu.gif

Quote:
the weather plays a huge factor in laying-way hot-not many eggs if any:( yours sound a little to young to molt but its possible-and yes they stop cold turkey when they molt! I have ALOT of molters right now and its killing me with no eggs!

So I must have a totally incorrect idea of what a molt would look like. I thought it was weeks of losing feathers and they'd look ratty while it was happening. Mine really didn't look much different, and just stopped laying for about a week. Had no idea it would be so fast. Maybe because the white leghorns are a production breed?

Anways, we had a white egg today, so it looks like it is coming to an end and maybe I was worrying about nothing. Now if only I could get my EEs to lay any eggs at all! 26 weeks and nothin'.
roll.png

Quote:
hahaha-I have a bantam coop that gave me 4-5 eggs a day-its been 30+ days with nothing-each one is a slight molter-un noticed for weeks! Until i picked each one up and say little new pin feathers everywhere. Then I have molters that look like they held their beaks and sneezed-blowing every feather they had off of them-pathetic looking:(

It is most likely because of molting...also I have had a sneaky little friend that has slithered around and found a regular lunch and eating the eggs, could be a possiblity....
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom