When to worry about no eggs?

oaklandmama

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 20, 2011
Oakland, CA
We've got two white leghorns that started laying around 18-20 weeks. They're coming up on 26 weeks, and the leghorns haven't laid any eggs for five days. Before the two of them made one or two a day. I can't find any hidden eggs (there aren't really places for them to hide them in the coop).

Sometime last week I found evidence of an eaten egg, there was a wet sticky spot in one of the nest boxes, but no egg or shell. I just assumed it was one of the other girls who had laid a shell-less started egg and didn't think much of it. Wouldn't there be more evidence if the leghorns were laying every day and eating their eggs? We've been getting a Welsummer egg once a day, and that egg is untouched. Wouldn't an egg eater eat all the eggs?

I'm a confused chicken newbie. There aren't very many feathers around, so I wouldn't think they are molting. If they're molting will they stop cold like that? The two leghorns don't seem sick at all.

sonew123

Poultry Snuggie
11 Years
Mar 16, 2009
onchiota NY
Quote:the weather plays a huge factor in laying-way hot-not many eggs if any:( yours sound a little to young to molt but its possible-and yes they stop cold turkey when they molt! I have ALOT of molters right now and its killing me with no eggs!

oaklandmama

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 20, 2011
Oakland, CA
So I must have a totally incorrect idea of what a molt would look like. I thought it was weeks of losing feathers and they'd look ratty while it was happening. Mine really didn't look much different, and just stopped laying for about a week. Had no idea it would be so fast. Maybe because the white leghorns are a production breed?

Anways, we had a white egg today, so it looks like it is coming to an end and maybe I was worrying about nothing. Now if only I could get my EEs to lay any eggs at all! 26 weeks and nothin'.

sonew123

Poultry Snuggie
11 Years
Mar 16, 2009
onchiota NY
Quote:hahaha-I have a bantam coop that gave me 4-5 eggs a day-its been 30+ days with nothing-each one is a slight molter-un noticed for weeks! Until i picked each one up and say little new pin feathers everywhere. Then I have molters that look like they held their beaks and sneezed-blowing every feather they had off of them-pathetic looking:(

gamamachik

Songster
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
South GA
It is most likely because of molting...also I have had a sneaky little friend that has slithered around and found a regular lunch and eating the eggs, could be a possiblity....

Top Bottom