when turkeys lay eggs in wrong place

gregmk

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 5, 2013
I have several royal Palm hens about 9 months old, one of them has started to lay in a corner of the goat shelter. there are 4 eggs so far, its been a 3 or 4 days & no new ones,i was worried that they would get trampled by the goats, so i built a flat roof over them leaving about 16 - 17 inches under for turkey to go under. Question is will she continue to tend them or abandon them because of the change( roof)? I'm not set up with an incubator, I'll need to build one. also how long will they last without her tending them. the forcast is freezing temps in 44 or 5 days. Any input would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

i just returned from the barn & the hen was sitting on her eggs under the roof i had made, but she doesn't seem to be on them @ night yet, i just don't want them to freeze. i guess i'll just have to wait & see.

If she's sitting she's working it... if you don't have an incubator there's probably not much you can Do besides maybe move her and the nest to a place where temperature is better. Dont know if that would startle her too much though. Hmmmm...decisions decisions...:/

she is setting on them tonight(03-11-13), since i last posted she has been going back every other day for a period of time & depositing more eggs this morning there were 8, before she got on the nest tonight. I will keep posting her activity untill they hatch. Thanks!

How cool
big_smile.png

the hen sat on them for 2 days, got up this morning(03-13-13), there were 9 eggs, she's back on them this after noon.

ok, the hen has been on them steady now for 4 or 5 days, she got up last night at about 6pm to feed & was back on them by dark, when she was off the nest i checked them, they were warm & there were 12 of them. i think that's pretty good being she's 9 months old. i believe that i can start counting from march 12, that would give her a hatch date of april 8(28 days).

i think I'll be as nervous as you when i think my hen should start to sit ,i hope i have as good of luck I'm a little worried

Back
Top Bottom