When using an incubator, can you.....

Quote:
I agree with this post, in it's entirety! Maybe along the way while you are educating the kids about the different aspects of hatching chicks, make sure that they understand (as much as a 2nd grader can) that there are alot of variables when it comes to hatching chicks, and that alot of things can go wrong, so that IF there is a poor hatch rate, they are prepared ahead of time and have some understanding as to why.
wink.png

*** don't underestimate the intelligence and savvy of 2nd graders !

they're eight, or thereabouts, and I remember what it felt like to be that age, I actually felt quite grown up (in contrast to the kindergarteners and firstgraders) -- and was trusted to go alone on a six hour Greyhound bus trip, with no chaperone/companion (from aunt's house where I was visiting, to my home)

I agree with being quite up front with them, about hazards and death and illnesses .. they've likely seen FAR more TV than I had at that age, and they will appreciate being treated like they are mature people

they may, any time now, have to deal with the death of a pet, or a parent, or a grandparent, or another relative

one more idea --- several people use closed containers of water, or other "thermal mass" to help regulate the temperature in the incubator; I would think that THIS could well keep the temperature stable during your short trip ---

of course make sure that the incubator cannot slide, scoot, fall, or get jostled, if you have to brake suddenly, or if someone rear-ends you

My 2nd grader completely understands about the death of chicks and the reasons they don't hatch. But he has been around this his whole life.

When I was in the 2nd grade we watched the Space Shuttle explode. I have alot of memories in the second grade. I also remember it was the first time I saw chicks hatch. Some good and not so good memories. Go for it.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Yeah, I watched the shuttle explode in my third grade class. I just remember lots of
ep.gif
and
hit.gif

My son was in 1st grade when we started hatching at home, and it was really hard for a while (he's a very sensitive kid) but he's gotten used to the ones that don't hatch. He still doesn't do eggtopsies with me (he's watched a few and he turns quite green)
sickbyc.gif
but he's really good about understanding when / why a chick needs to be culled now.

Quote:
Yeah, I watched the shuttle explode in my third grade class. I just remember lots of
ep.gif
and
hit.gif

Gosh I feel Old. I was in College.

Thanks all for the words and support.

I remember the shuttle explode. I was in middle school. I lived in the FL at the time so when anything launched, you would watch it in the sky rather than on tv. I'll never forget watching it split and going uhoh. Really horrible.

Now as for this hatch, I worry ALOT about the janitor unplugging it.

As for explaining to the kids, the teacher was the one that suggested the sleeping excuses. When we just hatched eggs under a broody, my girls (8 and 5) did great with understanding that hatching is hard work and that not all babies make it. That's nature. Out of 6 eggs, we got 2 chicks. 1- pipped and never made it, 1- just never tried to hatch?, 1- quit early, 1- I accidentally killed by thinking it was a bad egg and cracking it open. I didn't show the kids the dead chicks but I did tell them what happened. And you all are right, they were just fine. But in the classroom, I have to let the teacher handle this however she wants/feels appropriate. I will explain to her about how we handled things and how my girls did great with it. But ultimately it's up to her.

I think I worry more about what possible "gore" the kids could see - chick hatched with bloodies or with the yolk unabsorbed, etc.

MORE QUESTIONS:

- Are there others things that could go wrong on hatch day that you could think of that might upset kids?

- "Thermal mass" I'll have to research that. It sounds like a great idea to include to help our project.

- Do we need a fan in there or not? I believe I read about still air incubators?

Thanks!

Quote:
With this sort of thing, the teacher may want to send out a note to all of the parents explaining what you all are doing. She should also explain that sometimes chicks don't hatch or have a birth defect and don't live very long. She should outline for the parents how she is going to handle it (chicks died or are sleeping or what ever she decides). No doubt she will get feedback from the parents either way. If my kids came home with 'the chicks are sleeping' I would contact the teacher and explain that she is being very unscientific and dishonest. The kids need to trust that the teacher's information is correct. They will reflect back and think 'if my teacher lied about the chicks, what else is she not telling us?' Not a good precedent to set, really.

I am re-reading your original post. Are you still in the process of constructing the incubator? I am doing home diy science project too with my daughter and we are on day 6 of the incubation. We made ours out of an old cooler, scavenged computer fan, outdoor light ($5.00), water heater thermostat ($10.50) and 8x10 picture glass($2.50). I have 6 different thermometers and 2 humidity sensors and am collecting data frequently. Hand turning here. There are extensive ideas in the archives on making your own incubator and ideas for non-automatic turners, you may want to check in to them. I had mine up and running and stable for 1 week prior to putting the eggs in. The thermal heat sinks are 4 water bottles under the grate and baby food jars filled with water on the grate. Really helps with temperature stabilization! Also key is having the ambient room temperature stable.

My 10 year old daughter is very sensitive and a vegetarian to boot. We just candled the eggs and out of 11, there is one yolker and the rest are developing. We cracked an egg damaged in the mail which turned out to be fertile. She was sad for the loss but has been very understanding that it wasn't meant to be. I know she will be sad if the hatch fails, but she knows it is a possibility. Preparation is the key to success.

Since this is my first hatch I can't help you with your other questions. Sorry.

Best of luck!

Quote:
ep.gif
and
hit.gif

Gosh I feel Old. I was in College.

I was talking about the one in the 80's that had the teacher. I forgot there were two. Sorry. I got off the subject.

Back
Top Bottom