When will a Cockerel become an issue?

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
We can’t have roosters where we live. As of now we have 1 obvious cockerel in our flock that was supposed to be a pullet. We are going to have to cull him and plan to eat him. My question is when will he become an actual rooster issue? I know the first crow can happen as soon as 8 weeks but I’m assuming that’s going to be a little chirping crow in the beginning. Around what age can we expect to NEED to cull him? Hoping to get him as large as possible before.

We can’t have roosters where we live. As of now we have 1 obvious cockerel in our flock that was supposed to be a pullet. We are going to have to cull him and plan to eat him. My question is when will he become an actual rooster issue? I know the first crow can happen as soon as 8 weeks but I’m assuming that’s going to be a little chirping crow in the beginning. Around what age can we expect to NEED to cull him? Hoping to get him as large as possible before.
What breed is he?

The first crows, at least in my flocks, aren't little chirping crows. They're more like a squeaky, strangled crow - kind of like when a boy's voice changes as he enters puberty - and can be somewhat loud. Or not. Some of my cockerels start to crow at about 8-10 weeks, and others still aren't crowing at 16 weeks (butcher size for my breeds). Even within the same breed, some develop faster than others. You just don't know until you know.

I'd keep him until he's butcher size, or until the neighbors complain - whichever comes first.

What breed is he?

The first crows, at least in my flocks, aren't little chirping crows. They're more like a squeaky, strangled crow - kind of like when a boy's voice changes as he enters puberty - and can be somewhat loud. Or not. Some of my cockerels start to crow at about 8-10 weeks, and others still aren't crowing at 16 weeks (butcher size for my breeds). Even within the same breed, some develop faster than others. You just don't know until you know.

I'd keep him until he's butcher size, or until the neighbors complain - whichever comes first.
I *think* he’s a blue maran. I got him from TSC so it’s anyone’s guess…

He’s grown incredibly fast. His comb and waddle appeared out of no where at about 4 weeks and turned red immediately.

had roosters start crowing
When they first start, it sounds like a strangulated gargle. And they have started between three weeks and eight months.

Back
Top Bottom