When will Mama Hen bring new babies out to eat?

Coopnana

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 27, 2013
north Idaho
New chicks hatched on Thursday...we've had subzero temperatures. I have GLRW hen sitting with 3 silkie chicks. She's in a wired dog crate with straw and pine shavings with a metal wire dog kennel around that...we have a heat lamp over the kennel area to help with the heated water dish..but still very cold in there. Supposed to warm up to be in the 30's in next day or two.

I haven't noticed mama hen bring them out to eat or drink yet...should I be worried?

As long as they can get to the food and water easily, she will take care of them. Put marbles or pebbles in the waterer to keep the chicks from jumping in for a polar bear plunge. I usually put a flat container, paper plate, lid from ice cream bucket, or cut down butter tub, for the food. If you have a hanging feeder, put the chick starter underneath it! Put chick starter out for them, the hen will benefit from the extra nutrition after setting for three weeks. Have fun!

Thank you...I have chicken starter in a pie plate, and the waterer is the very large heated one with rocks in it...so trying to make it safe and easy for them. Just thought she's hesitant to bring them out because of the temperature.

I can hear them...so sound like doing ok...just not able to see them :jumpy

Back
Top Bottom