when will mama hen start laying again?

reginak

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 3, 2007
Maryland
I have a mama hen who hatched out a mini-clutch (3 chicks) a week ago. How soon should I expert her to start laying again? She is being a great mom, by the way.

Thanks
Regina

A few weeks after she decides the babies no longer need her. That will depend on your chicken and her babies.

oh ... weeks? months?

Thanks. I'm just feeling my way along ... somehow I thought she'd start laying again a few days after they hatched out. Oh well. The peeps are worth it
big_smile.png

hehe Probably 4-6 weeks or so for her to stay with the babies and then a little bit to get her laying cycle regular again...generally the moms will stay with them until they no longer need a heat source or protection.

It's kinda like a mom when she's had a baby. Takes a while until she feels up to it again. hehe (Not nearly as long for chickens, thankfully! ;-) )

*sigh* OK, I get it. I sympathize with her, she's been a real hero. Newbie me would have broken up any less determined broody, trying to make sure she was warm and comfy while she was setting. I moved her from the coop (only one nest -- only two hens!) to a separate cage on the porch, to the kitchen when it got cold and rainy, to the porch again, to the basement .... up to a few days before they hatched, and she never wavered. I didn't know I should leave her alone.

And she's being a real good mom to the hatchlings, too. I took her and the peeps back to the back yard when they were a couple days old, and had given up on the other 3 eggs (2 of which I took out of the fridge when she went broody, so I wasn't surprised they didn't hatch). The 2nd night she moved them back into the main coop (Eglu), and the mini-flock is getting along just fine, no drama. Next weekend I will build a bigger coop, and hope all 3 are females and keepers! The Eglu will be way too small for 6!

Thanks a lot for answering!

Regina

You sound like you're doing great by them. :)

I absolutely adore seeing broody mamas and babies. It's one of the sweetest things ever.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom