When will my Broody Hen leave the nest?

Cayden05

In the Brooder
May 23, 2020
Hi, so this is my first time with a broody hen and this is her first clutch. So I was wondering when will she take the chicks out of the nest to eat and drink? The chicks were born sometime last night.

I've had broody hens take their chicks off the nest in less than 24 hours after the first one hatching, I've had some wait until well into the third day. The hen is talking to the chicks, the ones still in the shell and the ones that are already out. She knows more about that timing than we do.

Since the chicks absorb the yolk before hatch they can live for over three days just on that, no need for food or drink. That's why nature fixed it so they absorb the yolk, so they can wait.

I've had broody hens take their chicks off the nest in less than 24 hours after the first one hatching, I've had some wait until well into the third day. The hen is talking to the chicks, the ones still in the shell and the ones that are already out. She knows more about that timing than we do.

Since the chicks absorb the yolk before hatch they can live for over three days just on that, no need for food or drink. That's why nature fixed it so they absorb the yolk, so they can wait.
Good to know! Thank you so much

Back
Top Bottom