when will my coturnix quail start laying eggs

I have a few coturnix quail and one of them has started laying the only problem is that they are all the same age and I have 5 hens and 3 roosters so I feel like I should be getting more than one egg a day. It has been consistently one egg at the same time every day so I am sure it is only one hen laying. Anyone have any ideas why the other hens are not laying?

I have been getting one egg for the last four days. The problem is that these coturnix arent young they are about 12 weeks old right now and I just got this one to start laying because I finally found high protein feed. I sexed the quail and I came up with 4 females and 3 males so I butchered 2 males because they kept pulling feathers from the hens.

I live in South Texas and I have about 50 females and 20 males and I was getting eggs every day until about two weeks ago when the temps began to reach around 100 degrees every day and then the females stopped laying. I keep my birds inside and old mobile home that I converted into a bird house with cages and fans but the temps inside can reach 110 degrees at times so the heat may be the problem. I'm presently feeding them a feed that's 28% protein but I will probably put them back on Layena egg layer. Good luck, Jay

Thanks for the advice. I got my first egg today!

Back
Top Bottom