When will my ducks start laying?

xIndigoSkyx

Songster
9 Years
Dec 4, 2010
St.Albert, Alberta
I have 4 pekin ducks and one rouen, the only male I have is a pekin and the rest are femals. I dont know when they will start laying and I would love to know to prepaer the incubator. I've herd that they start laying in january but its alberta canada and it's cold so I doubt that. and i was woundering what kind of set up I should have for them, right now i have a 12 foor by 11 foot tarp shed to keep them warm and I'm feeding them frutes and veggies and chicken scratch, I think they have enought netrition. tell me if there anything I need to crrect. any comments will help!

I loaf you doe much <3!!
-Bobbin

First of all, post this in the Duck section of BYC.

Anyway, how old are they? Most Ducks start laying at 21-27 weeks old. They probably need real food to get enough nutrition to lay. Try to find some Layer Pellets for chickens...they work well. Also, you being in Alberta, you will probably have to put a lightbulb inside their coop to give them the additional light needed for egglaying. They need 14-17 hours of light a day to lay eggs. I find that keeping a lightbulb on in their sleeping area for 3 hours in the morning (turns off at sunrise) will make them lay all year 'round. Have fun! Duck Eggs are delicious!
smile.png

ETA:
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom