When will my goat kid?

Cara

Songster
12 Years
Aug 30, 2007
NM
My goat Dizzy is due to give birth either tomorrow or the 29th January. She came back into heat after she was bred, and the lady that I got them from thinks that it was a false heat, but re-bred her just to be sure.

She looks big, but I wouldn't say she looks enormous. Her udder started to fill this week, but it isn't very tight or shiny. This morning she has milk. Do goats have milk for a while before giving birth, or is it a good sign that she'll kid tomorrow?

Please don't try to milk her. You are asking for a case of mastitis.

Goats kid between 140 and 155 days gestation. Check out www.fiascofarm.com for signs of labor. The udder is usually so tight you'll feel sorry for her. Otherwise...you don't know til they're pushing!

roll.png
I didn't 'try to milk her'. She is dripping milk.

Can you post pictures of her backend? That might help people here.

Certainly it sounds like it may be sooner than later so you want to really keep a close eye on her; as I'm sure you are!
wink.png

Did she hollow out yet?

right when goats are going to kid the back on each side in the rear hollows out deeply. That is a sure sign it is going to happen very soon.

dripping milk means it is close but doesn't always mean a sign of kidding will start anytime soon. Tight udders are just that...and leakage happens..LOL

She started looking a lot bigger in the belly this afternoon than before, almost like everything dropped down lower and spread out horizontally. She hasn't had any mucous, and she's still eating.

Her friend has been acting like a complete lunatic though
tongue.png
Yesterday morning she was literally bouncing off the walls, running and jumping at them. She was rearing and butting with Dizzy, and tearing around springing like a deer.
hmm.png

Last edited:
I've only had 2 kids, pygmies. One kidded 2 weeks early the other a week early. The first one kidded in the evening, had just eaten a full meal of grain and hay, about an hour later was dropping a baby. I had noticed no discharge of any kind, but as she was 2 weeks early I wasn't really paying attention or expecting it yet. Don't know how old she is, I have her and her twins so she is much more experienced than I am.
tongue.png

The second ate a full breakfast then I noticed her discharge and nesting behavior. She kidded about 4 hours later. First time mama.

I have 3 does due the end of next month, but I'll start paying attention alot sooner this time.
big_smile.png

Aghhh still nothing. I guess she's waiting until the end of the month.

Back
Top Bottom