When will my rhode island reds start laying?

Tink
The oyster shell can be added to their food. It provides added calcium needed for egg production. Or, if you don't want to add to food you can put a small amount in a container they can eat from in their coop and they will eat it when they need it. Another option is to keep their egg shells and add them to their food for the same results. If you use the egg shells rinse them real well and crush them up real well so they don't know they are eating egg shells. Don't want to get them started eating eggs. I stick with oyster shell and use the egg shells in the garden for jalapeno pepper plants. They like the calcium and it seems to make them hotter. You can get oyster shell at any farm store.

Tink
The oyster shell can be added to their food. It provides added calcium needed for egg production. Or, if you don't want to add to food you can put a small amount in a container they can eat from in their coop and they will eat it when they need it. Another option is to keep their egg shells and add them to their food for the same results. If you use the egg shells rinse them real well and crush them up real well so they don't know they are eating egg shells. Don't want to get them started eating eggs. I stick with oyster shell and use the egg shells in the garden for jalapeno pepper plants. They like the calcium and it seems to make them hotter. You can get oyster shell at any farm store.

I have 10 hens 1 Roo plus 3 bantams . All different breeds. 3 of my girls are hatchery RIR. Still love them! Here is my question. 2/3 of my ( triplets) as we call them:) have been laying for 2 months. Pretty much every day. The one that is not laying is almost 29 weeks. It's driving me crazy! I feed them grower, layer, oyster, flax,coconut oil, fruits, veggies a few times a week . Just put it this way they are beyond spoked and I get great eggs from all the other girls. What am I doing wrong? Is my lady holding a record at this rate :) any input would be greatly appreciated !!! She doesn't have a hiding spot and no interest in the laying box. Plus she has a great comb that had fallen to the side. Help!

Last edited:
I read somewhere that RIR's can take up to 34 weeks! I have two and they were late to lay, but not that long Good luck.

I read somewhere that RIR's can take up to 34 weeks! I have two and they were late to lay, but not that long Good luck.[/quote) ok, hopefully I'm not back in 5 weeks :) thank you! I did hear they can go awhile. Just wired because they are production not heritage. Maybe the genetics gene thread would know or say the sane thing ?

I have 3 RIRs who are 22 weeks old. No one has laid an egg yet
hmm.png
They have a ready supply of laying feed and they forage in the yard when I come home from work. So they are out for about 4 hours per day. We have been anxiously awaiting eggs for a couple of weeks now, but nothing. I will be patient.

I do have a question about nesting behavior. Even though they have perfectly fine roosts in their coop, they all cram in to the one nesting box to sleep at night. Could this mean they are thinking about laying? They do leave a big poopy mess in there for me to clean in the mornings.

Maggie in CT

No they are not suppose to be laying in there nesting boxes at night they should be on the roost and it usually should be a little higher then where u have the boxes at. Maybe put a cover over the boxes until they start laying. You will know when they start squating when u go in the coop give or take week or so could be longer but they will start once you see the squating.

I do have a question about nesting behavior. Even though they have perfectly fine roosts in their coop, they all cram in to the one nesting box to sleep at night. Could this mean they are thinking about laying? They do leave a big poopy mess in there for me to clean in the mornings.

Maggie in CT

Bad habit - and one you want to break, especially with eggs expected soon! The simple solution is to block off the nest boxes just before the birds go to roost - or go in at roost time and physically move the birds to the roost from the nest box. Can you tell (or show in photos) a bit more about the inside of your coop? Often the setup is contributing to their choice of sleeping quarters and simple adjustments to that can fix the issue.

Back
Top Bottom