When will my welsummer start laying??

She is either 1) laying somewhere not in your intended nest, 2) a male or 3) didn't come into lay prior to the shortened day light.

1) Search for a nest if your birds free range or close her up in coop for a few days and see if you get an egg.

2) Be sure of the sex.

3) Add supplemental lighting on a timer in coop. Have it turn on early morning and off after sunrise or on before they roost and off in evening. Make it so the total hours of light are more than 12 hours. Sometimes late bloomers don't come into lay then natural daylight hours are too few to stimulate them to lay until spring. Adding light so total hours are over 12 will stimulate her to start laying.

I'm pretty sure she's a she. She LOOKS like a hen, and has never tried mating with any of the others. Although she is a little aggressive. As far as laying somewhere else, I have been checking the yard off and on already. Haven't found anything.

I'm pretty sure she's a she. She LOOKS like a hen, and has never tried mating with any of the others. Although she is a little aggressive. As far as laying somewhere else, I have been checking the yard off and on already. Haven't found anything.

What is the color of its chest?

She is either 1) laying somewhere not in your intended nest, 2) a male or 3) didn't come into lay prior to the shortened day light.

1) Search for a nest if your birds free range or close her up in coop for a few days and see if you get an egg.

2) Be sure of the sex.

3) Add supplemental lighting on a timer in coop. Have it turn on early morning and off after sunrise or on before they roost and off in evening. Make it so the total hours of light are more than 12 hours. Sometimes late bloomers don't come into lay then natural daylight hours are too few to stimulate them to lay until spring. Adding light so total hours are over 12 will stimulate her to start laying.
4... she's laying and you don't realize out because she's not producing the expected dark egg

Pick her up and check pelvic points, vent, etc....

Back
Top Bottom