When will the hen pecking stop?

MissPoulette

Songster
Jun 20, 2018
Pacific Northwest
Hi, I’m new to chickens and started raising chickens this year. I have 2 Astrolop (6 months old), 2 Minorcas (1 yr old), 1 Serama rooster (3-4 months old) and 4 Buff Orpingtons (6 weeks).

I have had the Astrolop (April) since they were chicks. The Serama rooster and the Minorcas after the long weekend of September. It took a few days before the Minorcas were integrated with the Astrolops. I kept the Serama in his own cage till he was bigger before I integrated him with the rest of the hens. And I thought things were all settled in the roosting coop.

The Buffs were introduced to the new family at 5 weeks old and supervised, of course. The Astrolops didn’t take too much notice of them but the Minorcas did so we just separated the Minorcas for about 30 to an hour a day. And the Rooster just went about his business.

This week we let them have family time. For the most part they got along but of course, there was the odd ‘hey, this is my space’ from the older hens but nothing stressful to me. The Buffs hang out with each other and are able to share their space. (do they have a say?) when it’s time for bed there is such a decision on who should roost where...it is first with the older birds then when the Buffs arrive another pecking thing goes on. The Buffs are on one rung lower than the older hens. (Is that not good enough?) And how long will this go on?

Sorry for the long story....this hen pecking thing is not for me. I’m human!

You are human, they are chickens. Chicken society is not pretty, and sometimes it is downright brutal. The pecking order is fluid and ever changing. Higher ranked birds continually reinforce their position, and lower ranked birds are looking for an opportunity to increase theirs. As others have mentioned roosting time is prime time for squabbling. More roosts may help, but chickens will be chickens - sorry.

And how long will this go on?
Pretty much forever. :lol: It's perfectly normal.
The RoostTimeRumble happens no matter how well integrated the birds are.
As long as no one is being bullied unto bloodiness, and they all eventually settle in and sleep, just let them do their thing.
Normal for the youngers to come to roosts after the olders, that may even out once the youngest are laying.

Pretty much forever. :lol: It's perfectly normal.
The RoostTimeRumble happens no matter how well integrated the birds are.
As long as no one is being bullied unto bloodiness, and they all eventually settle in and sleep, just let them do their thing.
Normal for the youngers to come to roosts after the olders, that may even out once the youngest are laying.

....I will be learning to accept this. Repeat to self when they are sent to bed...’this is normal for chickens’.

You are human, they are chickens. Chicken society is not pretty, and sometimes it is downright brutal. The pecking order is fluid and ever changing. Higher ranked birds continually reinforce their position, and lower ranked birds are looking for an opportunity to increase theirs. As others have mentioned roosting time is prime time for squabbling. More roosts may help, but chickens will be chickens - sorry.

....I will have to adjust my attitude. Dang, I’m a slow learner too!

Back
Top Bottom