when will they go in be them selves

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tav1, May 31, 2017.

1. tav1

tav1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2014
    ct.
    i have 4 ....8 week old birds..... i know it takes time . the past 3 night we had to
    put them inside by hand. good thing or bad? should i let them do it them selves?
    or keep putting them in our selves. they just seem to cuddle on a corner instead
    of trying to go in.

getaclue likes this.
  2. Mace Gill

Mace Gill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2017
    New Jersey
    Just an idea ... dunno if it will work. Leave them closed up in the coop (with feed, water, maybe treats) for a full day or two. Let them get to understand where 'home' is.

Are they roosting yet, or once in the coop are they still settling down huddled in a corner to sleep? (perfectly normal if they are at this age, but the older birds might be roosting already)

biophiliac and getaclue like this.
  3. getaclue

getaclue Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    I agree with Mace. Leave them in the coop, with their feed, and water, for a couple days. Once they are used to "home", then open the run, and let them explore.

biophiliac and Mace Gill like this.
  4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    It can take chicks up to a week of putting them in by hand before they do it themselves. If it wasn't going to thunder and hail today we were to start that routine with my chicks. Brooder is full and a few keep getting out. Oh well, another day wont hurt 'em but hail may...

Mace Gill and biophiliac like this.
  5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    There's no harm in cooping them up to get them accustomed to the coop, but don't expect it to cause the chicks to automatically know to go inside when evening comes.

The reason is because the coop doesn't look the same from outside as it does from inside. Chickens are linear thinkers. Some chicks will put themselves in at night right off the bat, but more often you will need to gently put them through the door until they make the mental connection.

You can shorten the learning curve by using treats to lure them inside. But the mere repetition of putting them through the door into the coop will imprint on them this ritual and they will get it down in a very short time.

6. tav1

tav1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2014
    ct.
    thanks for the reply.......iv'e been hearing about keeping them in there home for a day or so. so today i started leaving them out for a bit then walking them up the ramp and keeping them inside did that twice today , now there in i may just leave them in there as all has said. thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by