When will they lay again?

I was merely comparing what we do as a way of explaining, perhaps, the breeder's comment about culling them within a year. He made that suggestion because that is what he would do.

Personally, I do get attached, but it is a different kind of attachment than say, to a loyal dog of some 10 or 12 years. It's different. I am able to do what needs to be done in keeping chickens. Some breeds will lay OK their third year and a select few, perhaps yet another year. But in contrast to a young pullet, there isn't much comparison. What breed are the chickens you purchased?

Fred's Hens :

I was merely comparing what we do as a way of explaining, perhaps, the breeder's comment about culling them within a year. He made that suggestion because that is what he would do.

Personally, I do get attached, but it is a different kind of attachment than say, to a loyal dog of some 10 or 12 years. It's different. I am able to do what needs to be done in keeping chickens. Some breeds will lay OK their third year and a select few, perhaps yet another year. But in contrast to a young pullet, there isn't much comparison. What breed are the chickens you purchased?

I have one NH Red, one RI Red, and one Plymouth barred rock.
I got one of each so I could tell them apart.
I would like to add more in the future, but space does not allow. The coop is 17.5 sq ft and the run is 30 sq ft. I do know that I will have to cull them and add new birds to keep getting eggs. It will be a hard pill to swallow, I'm sure. I knew this before I started and at this point in time, I plan to follow through, but who knows, things could change.​

Back
Top Bottom