When will they lay?

chickndays

Chirping
Apr 7, 2022
Dominique and Barred Rocks are about 15 weeks and looking forward to when they stop consuming money. When do these breeds typically begin laying? I was browsing posts and it sounds like Barred Rocks mature later??

Your earlier layers are the commercial hybrids like Red Sexlinks who can lay as early as 18 weeks.

Barred Rocks lay a bit later, around 20 weeks. Dominiques should be between 20 and 24 weeks.

Each bird is an individual. You can also delay the start of lay if you do not have good layer feed by 16 weeks. They need the calcium to begin to build laying power.

LofMc

Thank you! Is it possible to delay layer feed a couple weeks? I have one replacement chick that's 6 weeks younger than the others and eating the same feed.

Thank you! Is it possible to delay layer feed a couple weeks? I have one replacement chick that's 6 weeks younger than the others and eating the same feed.
I think adding a dish of calcium (oyster shells) next to the food would work. Many people use an all flock (which is what I am using now) and just add a dish of oyster shells for those who need the calcium. (layers)

Oyster shell will work, though layer is better for layers but with mixed ages oyster shell with all flock is good.

And the caveat watched pots never boil also works with chickens...watched pullets never seem to lay lol.

Saltong the nest boxes with ping pong balls or some dud to give them the idea can help.

LofMc

This is a great idea. We just bought a huge bag of chick feed recently, when it was the only option at the store, and are only about a third through it. When oyster shells are available for them, do I continue with chick grit or switch to full chicken grit?
(First time chicken owner and still learning at lot)

Back
Top Bottom