1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When will they lay?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Orpie, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Orpie

Orpie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2014
    Georgia
    Ok... Just did some calculations and my RIR are around 20 weeks old
    [​IMG]
    Here's one!!!
    So when will they lay?? I also have 4 Buff Orps. I believe they are right at 22 weeks old. A couple of them were singing the egg song while they out free ranging supervised.
    [​IMG]
    Here they are.
    So when will they lay? Will the coming winter affect their laying? Help. I want some eggs!!!

2. Soon. They may lay later due to the winter but since they're young they'll lay through winter. Have the hens began squatting?

3. Orpie

Orpie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2014
    Georgia
    I have seen no evidence of that.

4. Once they start squatting they'll begin laying soon.

5. Orpie

Orpie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2014
    Georgia
    What's the average age for both breeds? Anyone know??

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I could never find any resource to give a definite time line on any chickens…just most 18 weeks or older, and a thread on BO some 6 months or more.
    I would expect RIR to lay any day.
    BO in photo - 2 are roos but one in front if pullet looks mature enough to start laying soon. Your other BO is not in photo.

When they squat it can be several weeks til first egg. But look for the red around eyes and it will be very soon.

7. Justyolking

Justyolking Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2014
    Austin, TX
    My golden sex link started at 23 wks, barred rock at 25 weeks. We're still waiting (somewhat impatiently) on the two speckled Sussex, the Wyandotte (29 wks now), and the americauna who is 2 wks younger, but has started squatting when we reach for her.

8. Orpie

Orpie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2014
    Georgia

The squatting thing for me is what confuses me most. Reason I say is my chickens will somewhat gather round me if I go and sit in the run, but for me trying to pick one up.... Fuh getta bout it!!!! They dart, quickly I might add, in many directions. Catching them for wing clippings is a chore!!!

9. Orpie

Orpie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2014
    Georgia

Why, do you reckon, is it taking so long? I worry.. Is it something I'm doing wrong... Is it the feed... Yadda yadda yadda!!!!

10. tronda73

tronda73 New Egg

Sep 27, 2014
    My RIR's are 26+ weeks and still not laying. Still waiting... impatiently.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by