1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when will this hen start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chixaregreat41, Sep 8, 2013.

1. chixaregreat41

chixaregreat41 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    bruce mines
    This is luna, she was born in may sO shes 4 months we found an egg which was small but we dont know if shes old/big enough to lay im sorta new to this so i dont have extreme knowledge so could it gave been hers? And ask for more pics if wanted
    [​IMG]

2. chixaregreat41

Jul 1, 2013
    bruce mines
    [​IMG]

3. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    If she was hatched in the month of May she could be any where from 13 to 17 weeks old. A little young at any rate to be laying already. The picture looks like she is closer to 17 weeks than 13 but her comb and wattles are still flaccid and pale. A hen on the verge of laying and especially a straight comb hen on the verge of laying will have a swollen bright red comb and face with a texture like that on a ripe strawberry.

The black color in her DNA will not let the red express its self as clearly as it might in say a RIR or Leghorn but the swelling of the face and comb will still be very noticeable. Good luck with her.

4. chixaregreat41

Jul 1, 2013
    bruce mines
    .....its not a rooster right!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by