When You Ordered Pullets, How Many Were Roos?

Laurajean

Slightly Touched
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I have 7 bantam chicks. I specifically ordered pullets only, but I know that some can be sexed wrong and end up being roos. I am just curious for those of you who specifically ordered pullets: How many did you order and how many of those turned out to be roos?

Thanks!
smile.png

I once ordered from McMurray. We got one roo out of 25 plus the "rare" roo extra bird. Another time we ordered another 25 from McMurray and got something like 4 roosters of one breed. I've read that the accuracy is usually about 90% no matter what hatchery you're talking about. So, you might get a rooster. Chances are good you won't.

My one batch of 21 has 1 roo (I think only 1)
My other batch of 5 has 2 roos

That is not counting in any of my mystery chicks or my straight run groups, as those should have a higher percentage (I think my straight run is running 50/50 pullets/roos) My mystery chicks are all roos...

One roo out of 20 chicks this spring. He's my first roo and I love him! He's 7 weeks and just starting to crow--funny squeaky hoarse crow. I hope it gets more melodious! I have a broody hen and no fertile eggs, so maybe she can be a mama next year.

D.gif

1 out of 6
we didnt mail order though, we got them at a farm supply store. they were in the pullet bin though so they were supposed to be females

Ordered 5 from My Pet Chicken. All 5 were girls. That's the main reason I went with them, that and the small order size allowed.

We split an order with my husbands ex-boss. We order 25 pullets and i roos. His boss order like 7 chickens and one SSH roo. We got our 1 Delaware roo and he actually got 2 SPH roosters. We ordered these from McMurray last year. My RSL hatched out 3 babies last August and they were all roos. so far this year 2 chicks hatched and they are both girls. But have another broody hen and yet to hatch them yet. crossing my fingers

Does it count if I got my chicks from a feed store? It was the day they arrived from Belt Hatchery. I picked all pullets, 2 BR and 2 EE.

Out of the four I only had one EE cockerel

Back
Top Bottom