When You Ordered Pullets, How Many Were Roos?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Laurajean, May 27, 2010.

1. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I have 7 bantam chicks. I specifically ordered pullets only, but I know that some can be sexed wrong and end up being roos. I am just curious for those of you who specifically ordered pullets: How many did you order and how many of those turned out to be roos?

Thanks![​IMG]

2. Melissa034

Melissa034 Chirping

May 17, 2010
    St. Paris
    I ordered from mt. hatchery(IN ohio) I ordered 50 pullets got 1 roo. I thought that was good . And he's a good roo now

3. foxflower

foxflower Songster

Mar 9, 2010
    Surprise Valley, CA
    I once ordered from McMurray. We got one roo out of 25 plus the "rare" roo extra bird. Another time we ordered another 25 from McMurray and got something like 4 roosters of one breed. I've read that the accuracy is usually about 90% no matter what hatchery you're talking about. So, you might get a rooster. Chances are good you won't.

4. triggfamily5

triggfamily5 Songster

Mar 30, 2010
    Moorcroft, WY
    My one batch of 21 has 1 roo (I think only 1)
    My other batch of 5 has 2 roos

That is not counting in any of my mystery chicks or my straight run groups, as those should have a higher percentage (I think my straight run is running 50/50 pullets/roos) My mystery chicks are all roos...

5. Casey3043

Casey3043 Songster

One roo out of 20 chicks this spring. He's my first roo and I love him! He's 7 weeks and just starting to crow--funny squeaky hoarse crow. I hope it gets more melodious! I have a broody hen and no fertile eggs, so maybe she can be a mama next year.

[​IMG]

6. phaethona

phaethona Songster

Apr 13, 2010
    Missouri
    1 out of 6
    we didnt mail order though, we got them at a farm supply store. they were in the pullet bin though so they were supposed to be females

7. HennyJenny

HennyJenny Songster

Dec 26, 2009
    Bennington, NE
    Hatchery Order - 26 chicks - purposely ordered one roo - got a total of 7
    Hatched myself - 14 - total roos yet to be see but three so far.

8. LittleFeat

LittleFeat Songster

Jul 14, 2009
    Ordered 5 from My Pet Chicken. All 5 were girls. That's the main reason I went with them, that and the small order size allowed.

9. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Songster

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    We split an order with my husbands ex-boss. We order 25 pullets and i roos. His boss order like 7 chickens and one SSH roo. We got our 1 Delaware roo and he actually got 2 SPH roosters. We ordered these from McMurray last year. My RSL hatched out 3 babies last August and they were all roos. so far this year 2 chicks hatched and they are both girls. But have another broody hen and yet to hatch them yet. crossing my fingers

10. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Does it count if I got my chicks from a feed store? It was the day they arrived from Belt Hatchery. I picked all pullets, 2 BR and 2 EE.

Out of the four I only had one EE cockerel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: