When you trap a predator...how do you dispose?

Quote:
I personally wouldn't feed raccoons to the chickens or any other animal because of the risk of parasites(raccoon round worm). Maybe gutting/cooking the raccoon is sufficient to prevent risk? I don't know personally.

For the same reason, be very cautious around raccoon feces and make sure to bury raccoons deep if they are killed/disposed of. I don't know how susceptible chickens are to the parasites but it can be fatal in humans(rare and uncommon that humans catch it).

Raccoons carry zoonotic diseases (humans can get'em) and yes you are supposed to clean up raccoon poop with a facemask to protect yourself from worm eggs kicked into the air while cleaning, and put your clothes immediately in a hot water wash cycle. Nasty stuff!

I grew up on a farm and have killed in the past, but at this point in my life it just takes too much out of me to "do the deed". Don't think I could kill a raccoon either, but that doesn't mean I don't protect my chickens like an angry momma bear if they are threatened! I've chased many a coyote off in the middle of the night with a shovel, in my socks and jammies
somad.gif
The coyotes actually go through my neighbour's yard now to avoid me! I have considered getting a paintball gun as they pack quite a sting, but for safety reasons I don't want a gun.

If you can't find a hunter to dispose of him for you, there are pest control companies that can do it. Under "pest control" in the phone book...

not trying to be mean but if your a man you need to kill it . if you can't you need to to prove that you are a man sorry .drowning is wrong just bash it in the head with a shovel and bury it. or better make some raccoon stew. i have never had it but i bet its good.anything is good if you cook it right.

Last edited:
An alternative to a real gun that is legal within city limits is a high powered pellet gun. One that shoots at least 1000 FPS. I have an old style pump up air pistol I use for that. I aim down and shoot them in the trap with it. The pistol only cost around $50 brand new at Academy.

I agree with the others who said why bother trapping if your not going to kill it. And coons are nasty disease spreaders, so little contact with them as possible. I am a woman who absolutely hates killing animals,no matter what kind, but I do it for my girls. I wear long sleeves and gloves when disposing of the bodies. I lay them in an open field, away from the house and let nature take its course, usually the buzzards have them all cleaned up and gone within a few days.
Relocating them is putting the problem on someone else, and its not good for the animal world, and illegal most places.
Someone said earlier, "get a gun" I agree, if you want to protect your flock, I can't tell you how many coons, opposums, and skunks I've had to deal with this past year, and like I said, I'm a woman, its not easy, and I hate doing it everytime, but I love my chooks more

Shooting an animal trapped in a cage goes against everything I've been taught. But I do it. As soon as an animal steps in a trap I have set I will kill it. See if you can find a budding taxidermist. They love to practice on various species.

If it needs to be done as the old saying goes...

"Shoot, shovel and shut-up"

Getting it done quick and humainly, then dispose off it well such that the dog next door does not dig it up and drag it home. Finally involve as few people as possible even given you have full legal right to destroy the preditor many people's opinions on this vary and posting or talking about it just draws unwanted attention and bias.

A 22LR pistol or rifle will do the job, I use CB shorts----quiet and efficient if you place your shot. Afterwards, some people bury, some people toss in the weeds and some people:

36435_dinner.jpg

Back
Top Bottom