Where are my eggs?!

My guess is they aren't laying yet, but hard to know for sure since they free range.

As far as calcium on the side, best to not mix in the eggshells and instead have them (plus oyster shell, as eggshell alone cannot provide enough calcium) on the side so birds that need it can take it as needed.

If I find a nest, sometimes I will just leave it, I know where it is.

Ridgerunner you have given me hope - I have a coop full of young pullets and no one is laying. I was in fear, I might not get anything til January. Too are reddened up, the matriarch is going to molt, and I am buying eggs from my niece.

Mrs K

When it happens it will be like your birthday and every other favorite holiday wrapped up in one day!
It was! Lol. Got our first one yesterday. Lol!
Patience. Orpingtons are not like the high production hybrids. They generally take a bit longer to mature. The shortening daylight period is a factor, but they will lay this autumn.
It finally happened! I think I know who did it. Well, today we got #2, it was in a different spot than the first, and I didn't see who left it. Will each hen typically lay in the same place?/is this a second hen laying now? Or did the one just lay a second egg in a new spot?

Well, today we got #2, it was in a different spot than the first, and I didn't see who left it. Will each hen typically lay in the same place?/is this a second hen laying now? Or did the one just lay a second egg in a new spot?
You can try comparing eggs to see if it's likely to be the same layer, but it can be hard to tell.

Layers are generally inclined to keep laying in the same location as long as they feel safe using it. So if you removed the first egg, that location no longer seems safe (which is why people put fake eggs in nest boxes).

You can try comparing eggs to see if it's likely to be the same layer, but it can be hard to tell.

Layers are generally inclined to keep laying in the same location as long as they feel safe using it. So if you removed the first egg, that location no longer seems safe (which is why people put fake eggs in nest boxes).
So when can you begin removing eggs to bring in, without scaring them off the spot? A couple days or as soon as a second one is laid?

I use a fake egg, a golf ball, and don't have that problem.

Some pullets seem to know an egg is coming and know to go to a pre-chosen spot to lay it. For some it seems to come as a surprise and they drop an egg wherever they happen to be, either walking around or even from the roost if it comes at night. If the eggs are laid in the same spot every day, she has decided that is her nest. If they are in random spots she hasn't gained control over that part of the egg laying process. She should soon.

So when can you begin removing eggs to bring in, without scaring them off the spot? A couple days or as soon as a second one is laid?
IMO, eggs should be collected daily.
I too use fake eggs to encourage them to lay in the nests where I want them to lay.
Do you have nests for them to lay in...or.....?

Do you really want them laying in a spot of their choosing?

If the answer is yes for some reason, then replace the real egg with fakes.

If no, then continue to remove eggs any time you see them laid in the wrong place, and use fakes in the nest boxes to encourage them to use those.

Back
Top Bottom