Where are the eggs? Gone,..Missing! :(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Up-the-Creek, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    Okay, my hens have been laying since last fall pretty much non-stop. I kept a light on them all winter up until about a month ago. When I took the light away I knew the laying may decrease and it did. I was still getting 7 or 8 eggs from 10 hens. Then I decided to let them out and free range. All went well for a week or so, they was returning to the house to lay and was still getting the usual 7 or 8 eggs. Yesterday I only got 1 egg all day! [​IMG] I thought okay something is wrong, so I watched them, nothing. Only thing I saw was a bunch of extremely relaxed lazy hens sun bathing. I thought they may be laying somewhere else is the reason I watched them and I saw nothing. Then today I got 2 eggs, and of course one got broke,my luck! [​IMG] I watched them all day today and seen nothing and I looked everywhere they were relaxing around and found nothing. The funny thing is that a few of them have been going in and setting on the nests, but not producing nothing. Like they go in and change their mind [​IMG]. YES I know,..I have way too much time on my hands to watch chickens all day, right [​IMG]? Anywho, does anyone maybe have any suggestions on what this problem ,if one, may be???? Maybe they are taking a break from being overworked?? They all look good and healthy,...I just wish they would get back to work! I need eggs! [​IMG] Any ideas would be great, Thanks!

2. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    my gest guess is that someone is trying to go broody.
    another guess is actually a question.
    are they free-ranged? they may have a "secret nest" somewhere. mine have done that before. i found over 4 dozen in a nest in the woods when i was younger

3. Up-the-Creek

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    No, as I said in my first post, I watched them and there is no secret location where they've been laying.

4. selinagil

selinagil Chillin' With My Peeps

You may have a sneaky pest eating your eggs.

5. Up-the-Creek

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    I dont think there is any pests,.. I have spent the last two days watching them and haven't seen nothing out of the ordinary. I just think they are being lazy and think they are on strike. [​IMG] I hope anyway.

6. selinagil

selinagil Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey we're in a recession--maybe they think they shouldn't be the only ones pulling their weight!!!! [​IMG]

7. Up-the-Creek

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. Up-the-Creek

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    Anybody else have any ideas????????
    [​IMG]

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You did not give their age. They could be headed into moult. Chickens lay less in winter, and from what I have been seeing on BYC and in my own flock, this seems to be a time of year for them to slack off. My hens are around 11 mnths. I have not seen a real moult, but they did slack off about a month ago, and there were more feathers lying around about a month ago as well. Maybe mine did a partial moult and I did not see it on the birds. Another thing could be a sort of incomplete broodiness; I have seen this as well. They didn't actually stay on the nest 24/7, but more than usual, and I think those that did this for a while did not lay then. Seems to me that since they started breeding chickens not to go broody, we are going to get all sorts of in-between stuff in broodiness.

10. bragabit

bragabit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    I am REALLY new to this so consider that when you see my response. We just got 8 hens a couple weeks ago. The people who gave us the hens told us they were giving them 6-7 eggs a day and they were eating a whole pitcher of layer mash. Well when we got the hens we built a nice hen house and put it in a big pasture to free range. Our hens eat maybe 1 cup total of mash a day between them. I offer more but it goes untouched. They sit and eat bugs all day long. We only get 3-5 eggs a day. I think when they free range they eat less mash...possibly reducing their production??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by