where are the wonderful st. louis area chicken people ????

Quote:
So sorry for your loss. We just lost one today at some point. I don't know what happened she's just gone. The neighbors dog got out and she got into the run (one side isn't dug into the ground yet). I found her circling the girls, so I think McQueen either flew out somehow, or she's in the dogs tummy
sad.png

How many did you loose? I'm not sure I could handle loosing all of mine. We're now down to eight. Plus three baby Turkeys.

She came Back!!!! Lightning McQueen came back, I went out to check the girls before going to bed and there she was under the coop, trying to find a way in. I'm so thankful. She's had a rough time already with her broken toe.

Ohhhhh, I'm SO happy for lightning McQueen! You must be so happy! Hope you give her a treat of sunflower seeds or something!
My neighbor's very irresponsible kids just got a dog, and I'm spending my nights worrying and my days building a secure fence. "Beebee" has already gotten away from them several times, but so far is a harmless puppy. (In fact, my rooster scared the poop out of him last time he visited!) But not for long...

I'm so glad your chicken came home! Thats good news.

My coop is an old tomato cage with a henhouse inside. It has a wooden frame with slats that you pull down and out. The woman who was taking care of them (I was out of town) said one of them had been pushed in. I'm going to screw all the slates but one to the frame, I think, and take the netting and supports off the top and replace them with heavy duty wire mesh.

I guess I might get some silkies now. Anyone know where in the area I can get some? The younger the better.

kycklingar! :

Ohhhhh, I'm SO happy for lightning McQueen! You must be so happy! Hope you give her a treat of sunflower seeds or something!
My neighbor's very irresponsible kids just got a dog, and I'm spending my nights worrying and my days building a secure fence. "Beebee" has already gotten away from them several times, but so far is a harmless puppy. (In fact, my rooster scared the poop out of him last time he visited!) But not for long...

Yes, I am so happy to have her back. I trying to figure out what to do about the run. I haven't built the permanent structure yet, so this had made me want to fortify it a lot more than I had planned.
What are good treats for chickens? I give them veggie scraps now and again, but they don't get to excited about that.​

Mine adore pasta and bread, but I give sunflower as a treat because it makes their feathers SO nice! Also, when my girls were really getting run down by all the attention from the roos, I took them aside, let them live in their own coop, and hand-fed them bread dipped in olive oil, to help their feathers grow in better.

Hi All,

KatieJG, so sorry to hear that. I'm not sure about Silkies, but I found a TSC in Alton that has several varieties of chicks, or at least they did last week. For Silkies, maybe try Craig's List.

Urbanlayers, I've only had the chicks for about a week (age range 10 days to 10 weeks). The older ones love tomato & egg yolk (cooked).

Back
Top Bottom