where are the wonderful st. louis area chicken people ????

At what age are you able to tell the sex of the bird and what are the signs to look for? I'm a little nervous that Sally is a Sam and Mabel might be a Matt. I searched in the forums, but not just listed what to look for.

Quote:
I think I was able to tell at 6 weeks when Ophelia (Oberon) started crowing. Eleanor (Edmund) started a two weeks later. I actually don't know of any other way to tell!!!! But I'm really new to this.
sad.png
Sorry... At least my neighbors don't mind, and I'm upping the hen ratio. Roosters raised together from chicks can usually work out a friendly relationship with eachother.
If you are interested in keeping them, there are no St. Louis prohibitions on roosters, if you're in the city limits!!!
smile.png

I live in Eureka, Mo. about 20 miles from downtown st. louis. I would like to know of any local swap meets I have
heard of waterloo but have never been. It would be nice if we had something local for the eastern area of st. Louis similar to waterloo

Hi!

I am getting ready to jump into the world of backyard chickens. I know only what my best friend has told me, since she has had four chickens in U. City for a few years (ssshhh! don't tell anyone because I think she isn't allowed four chickens and is therefore, an outlaw)

I am in Kirkwood and looked at the ordinances, and called city hall. There is no limit on the amount of chickens I can keep. The ordinance states that they cannot roam off my property and must not be a nuisance.

I'm thinking six chickens, and getting them when they are old enough to lay eggs? I want to know what you all think the hardiest breeds are?

Also, I looked for coop ideas online, and saw so much information that it confused me. I don't have a lot to spend and I want to make it as simple as possible in design. I guess I would like a tractor-style so I can move it around too. Any suggestions?

Finally, any clubs or groups about chickens I can join? I want to learn a lot and socialize with other 'chicken-people'

Single mother of one, ten-year old daughter, and a fish named ocean

Quote:
I had no idea Kirkwood didn't limit the number of chicks you can have. Thats awesome. I am very new to having chickens. I have 6 six week old and 3 one week old girls. If you call Fenton feed they are really awesome at helping you (and I think he might have some older birds he liked to get rid of). Six birds does make quite a few eggs if it's just for you and your daughter. I only have so many because the people I rent from want lots of eggs (big family).
Good luck.
Maddie

HI ALL REGARDING THE QUESTIONS ON SEXING CHICKS WHEN THEY WERE A WEEK OLD I WAS GIVEN 28 STRAIGHT RUN ORPHINGTON CHICKS I DONT KNOW IF IT IS THE SAME WILL ALL CHICKS BUT I WAS ABLE TO TELL AT ABOUT 3-4 WEEKS OLD USING INFORMATIONS I RECEIVED FROM "www.the chook shed.com" THEY HAVE GREAT INFORMATIONS DIAGRAMS AND INFORMATION ON RAISING, BREEDING, AND SEXING CHICKENS. HOPE THIS HELPS

big_smile.png
I live in Bond County, we are only about 45 min. away from each other. . .this may lead to chicken swappin' when I get up and going! I was at RK this morning and their straight runs are all 99 cents. Could hardly stand it, as we are doing our alpaca barn and the chicken house next week!!! Have to get the Paca's home first~I also don't know why I never saw this thread before!

Back
Top Bottom