where are the wonderful st. louis area chicken people ????

HI GUYS AND GALS I LIVE IN EUREKA MO ABOUT 20 MIN WEST OF ST. LOUIS I THINK WE SHOULD GET A SWAP LINK GOING FOR OUR LITTLE GROUP ON OUR SIDE OF THE RIVER ANY IDEA HOW WE COULD GO ABOUT IT

Hello neighbors. I'm thinking about taking the plunge into keeping backyard chickens. I've checked the Olivette ordinance and there's no problem.

I don't have a coop/hen house yet and am just in the investigative stages. We are a family of six: me, my husband, my father and three kids. I think 4 or 5 birds would be perfect for us, but I'd love to hear your opinions. I'm thinking Rhode Island Reds because it looks like they are good layers and are not too nervous. What have people in this area had success with?

I saw that one person mentioned purchasing feed in Kirkwood. Where do you all buy feed?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

I would think 4 or 5 would be good depending on age. if they are a little older say 2 years or so some will only lay every other day but still worth it in my opinion we were given our first chickens by an old farmer culling 2 yr old stock for a group of chicks he was expecting we had 13 girls and were getting about 4 dzn or so eggs a week. if your thinking of only getting a few you could probably get away with say a dog house type structure about 4'x4' or 5'x5'. concerning type that will be hardy in winter. some chickens with the big combs and wattles like the rhode island red will get frostbitten in winter if you don't put petroleum jelly on them every other day which may be more work than worth sounds like you are busy. orphingtons would be a good breed i live in eureka and have about thirty of them my self. you could go onto www.mypetchicken.com and use the breed selection tool and select winter hardy breeds, exceptional egg layers and it will give you an idea of what to look for when you get ready.
D.gif
:thumbsup:welcome

A new note...
Does anybody want one of my BEAUTIFUL EE roosters? I have come to realize I can only have one.
hit.gif

They were both raised in the house, and cuddle in your lap, and chase your toes, and are non-aggressive, other than bluff-charges. I can't bring myself to send them to my friend's farm where she lets the roos fend for themselves at night...
These guys are like lap dogs!!
I've been crying over this for weeks now.
hit.gif
But even with 4 hens, 2 roos is one too many.

Thanks, Lana and Kycklingar for the info.

I've been checking craigs list daily for sheds and dog houses I could convert to a coop. Glad to learn about the OK hatchery and the orphington recommendation.

"I've been checking craigs list daily for sheds and dog houses I could convert to a coop. Glad to learn about the OK hatchery and the orphington recommendation."

I live in Creve Coeur and have 4 Orpingtons (wonderfull chickens!) and I found a 6X10 foot dog run and a child's plastic playhouse with a covered porch each on Craigslist. I have the playhouse up on pavers inside the run and it all works well. The food and water are on the covered porch. A little snug, but they're out in my fenced back yard a lot.

Back
Top Bottom