Where can I find/order organic oyster shells in bulk?

Hiya!
I have 13 chickens and notice they consume a lot of oyster shells! A 5 lb bag of scratch and peck’s organic oyster shells is too expensive for me to maintain, at $16.99. I’d love to order it in bulk but they don’t do that, anyone have any other organic/bulk ideas?
Thanks so much!
@Hensinarow do you live near an ocean or the Gulf of Mexico, or if you have a resturant near by (once this covid junk is over) that imports fresh oysters, I am sure they would be happy to give them to you, rather than pay someone to haul them away. Then you just need a 5 gallon bucket and maul, (a teenage boy is also useful) and crush them.

@Hensinarow Not sure where you are located, and even if you were close, with the current COVID shutdowns, it may not be an option, but... I'm about 1/2 hour from an actual fishmonger (as opposed to a counter at the supermarket) which has piles of oyster shells ready for processing outside their building. Here in FL, crushed oyster shell is often (though less than it was) used as cheap fill on driveways, etc. If you happen to live in a coastal area, you might check both with local restaurants and fish mongers, as well as with materials supply yards. Either might have just what you are looking for, at decent price.

Good luck in your search!

Oyster shell in bulk is so cheap that it’s not worth making your own, honestly.

The funny thing is that 50# costs only about double what 5# costs....and 50# is less than $16.99 most places.

And agree with others that “organic” and “oyster shells” doesn’t make a lick of sense. It’s a step above buying organic salt or sand. :p

Back
Top Bottom