Where can I find Penciled Runner ducks for sale?

I have that one penciled girl and would love to have more. I still have all 3 of her "might have been" mothers but not her dad.

The drakes I have are 1 fawn/white and 2 chocolate. Do I even have a prayer?

Mate the chocolate drake(s) with the penciled, then have her mate with one of her sons. That should get you 50% penciled in the clutch. According to your signature, one of your chocolate drakes is pied? If that is the only difference, then using him initially should mean that generations after the 50% generation are purer

I have that one penciled girl and would love to have more. I still have all 3 of her "might have been" mothers but not her dad.

The drakes I have are 1 fawn/white and 2 chocolate. Do I even have a prayer?

Like @TomCahalan said, yes, you can use the chocolate drakes. Breeding one to her will yield pied chocolate ducklings that should be split to mallard base. Breeding of the resulting sons back to her will result in half the ducklings inheriting all the needed genes and thus being pencilled :)

Like @TomCahalan said, yes, you can use the chocolate drakes. Breeding one to her will yield pied chocolate ducklings that should be split to mallard base. Breeding of the resulting sons back to her will result in half the ducklings inheriting all the needed genes and thus being pencilled :)
thank you! I will work on that this spring!

You don't have many extended black ducks in your flock. If he's from your flock, then he probably isn't homozygous for black. Which means that the cross with your penciled should give you 50% penciled, whether or not she is your mother. The only problem that I could see is if the blue pied is his mother. Even in that case, it would still be best to use him because later generations would be purer for the pied allele (R).

You don't have many extended black ducks in your flock. If he's from your flock, then he probably isn't homozygous for black. Which means that the cross with your penciled should give you 50% penciled, whether or not she is your mother. The only problem that I could see is if the blue pied is his mother. Even in that case, it would still be best to use him because later generations would be purer for the pied allele (R).
No, the penciled girl's mother is one of my 3 older fawn/white ducks. Her father was a fawn/white drake who I no longer have.

The chocolate drake I have was from a craig's list ad so no relation.

I kept 4 of the ducklings that I hatched last spring.

1. The young chocolate pied is the chocolate drake's son. His mother could be the penciled or any of my fawn/whites.

2. The young blue girl is a product of fawn/white (or the penciled) girls and the chocolate drake.

3. & 4. My young fawn/white drake and a fawn/white girl were from @Runner duck mom eggs that I hatched last spring so no relation the the rest of my flock.

No, the penciled girl's mother is one of my 3 older fawn/white ducks. Her father was a fawn/white drake who I no longer have.

The chocolate drake I have was from a craig's list ad so no relation.

I kept 4 of the ducklings that I hatched last spring.

1. The young chocolate pied is the chocolate drake's son. His mother could be the penciled or any of my fawn/whites.

2. The young blue girl is a product of fawn/white (or the penciled) girls and the chocolate drake.

3. & 4. My young fawn/white drake and a fawn/white girl were from @Runner duck mom eggs that I hatched last spring so no relation the the rest of my flock.

Uh oh, the genetics aren't adding up here...

Two fawn and whites together would have bred true - if both the parents were indeed fawn and white, then it would have been impossible to get a pencilled duckling from them. All ducklings would have been fawn and white as well. The difference between fawn and white and pencilled is only that a fawn and white bird is also silver, aka two copies of blue. Two such birds, when bred together, always pass on those blue genes. So two fawn and whites together can't make a pencilled. They can only make more fawn and whites.

The chocolate pied could also not have come from any fawn and whites, because a true fawn and white has two copies of the blue dilution gene - meaning if any of them were his mother he would have been lilac, not chocolate. That is, if they are indeed fawn and white, since, again, a true fawn and white can't produce pencilled.

Also, a female that's blue, and not lilac, would be impossible to get from a chocolate drake. All his daughters would be chocolate in some form.

So, something is not as you think it is.

Back
Top Bottom