Where can I find PRID? Is there something else similar?

pekincochin12

Songster
Apr 8, 2020
My drake has what looks to be the very start of bumblefoot, but I cannot find PRID anywhere. All local pharmacies, Amazon, and Walmart don't have it in stock. Is there something else that is safe and still effective? I know what I need to do to treat it, as I've treated before on other birds with soaking and such, but I cannot find it at all now.

I have used the ichthammol many times, But best thing to do is soaking to loosen the scab whickh may take several days, then try and remove the scab there is a infection in there that isn't easy to get rid of unless you open the place up and remove. If it's just starting you can try the ichthammol and and wrap for a few days to see if it helps. Only thing that has worked for me is getting that scab off and getting the infection out.
If you can post a picture that will help.

I have used the ichthammol many times, But best thing to do is soaking to loosen the scab whickh may take several days, then try and remove the scab there is a infection in there that isn't easy to get rid of unless you open the place up and remove. If it's just starting you can try the ichthammol and and wrap for a few days to see if it helps. Only thing that has worked for me is getting that scab off and getting the infection out.
Perfect! Yes, it's definitely just starting. There's not even the characteristic black scab yet. The area is just swollen with a small brown center area/scab? that is barely the size of a pin head. I can try and get a picture today. It's definitely the start of something, though.

Perfect! Yes, it's definitely just starting. There's not even the characteristic black scab yet. The area is just swollen with a small brown center area/scab? that is barely the size of a pin head. I can try and get a picture today. It's definitely the start of something, though.
Here’s what it looks like after soaking. I definitely got a little bigger even since yesterday. I wrapped it with the ichthammol on there afterwards.

Attachments

• C3638088-4FF3-4C0A-958E-2E9E7867AF54.jpeg
    C3638088-4FF3-4C0A-958E-2E9E7867AF54.jpeg
    337.5 KB · Views: 4
  • D79D65EC-4EB7-4A96-9704-B3553B05FBB0.jpeg
    D79D65EC-4EB7-4A96-9704-B3553B05FBB0.jpeg
    256.3 KB · Views: 4
It may draw it so you can open it and pop it out or get the infection out how ever it presents after you open. It's not going to be runny like pus is in a human. That dark place is where you'll eventually pick that off. Just take it a few days at a time and watch how its developing. Catching it early sure makes a difference.

It may draw it so you can open it and pop it out or get the infection out how ever it presents after you open. It's not going to be runny like pus is in a human. That dark place is where you'll eventually pick that off. Just take it a few days at a time and watch how its developing. Catching it early sure makes a difference.
yes, it certainly does make a huge difference when it's caught at this stage versus when it's progressed! Fingers crossed that this one's easy to treat!

Back
Top Bottom