1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where can I order chicks from?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cheetah1, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Cheetah1

Cheetah1 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2015
    I have got a problem. In the spring I will be getting 10 chickens and 2 ducks. I do have a chicken store nearby but it doesn't sell all the chicks I want. I don't know where I can get the others though. Most places make you buy like 25 chicks and that is too much for me. If anyone wants to help me go ahead. Thanks and goodbye for now. :D

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Pet Chicken offers small orders and a pretty good variety of breeds.
    While minimum orders seem unreasonable keep in mind that one reason for the greater numbers is it provides for warmth during shipping and "filler" in the box which reduces the amount of space available for chicks to be bounced around in - which can increase the successful arrival of your birds. One option that allows you to meet the minimum order and not end up with more birds than you want is to turn around and sell the "extra" chicks - order popular breeds and breeds not commonly offered by the farm stores or other sources in your local area to increase the sell-ability of your extra birds. ALso, if you are set up to brood them, just not keep them long-term you can make them more desirable to potential buyers by getting them to the "coop ready" stage (fully feathered and no longer needing heat) or even taking them close to the point of lay.

3. CGilbert

CGilbert Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2015
    Spirit Lake, ID
    Forewarning though with my pet chicken, shipping seems to be higher. If you can find a friend that wants chicks to, maybe you guys can go on together on the minimum order.
    Otherwise, possibly craigslist?

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    The shipping being higher is due to the "boutique" nature of MPC and the conveniences of the small order option - as well as the mentioned disadvantages/concerns of the small order shipping mentioned above (and the fact that MPC is more of a "middle man" than a hatchery - they are sourcing the birds from the hatchery) - all of these factors lead to a higher overall cost in dealing with MPC over a larger hatchery and larger order.

5. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    It also depends on when you order.....I was able to order just 8 Buff Brahmas from MPC in late March for April 6th delivery. Shipping is a little high but every time I've ordered from them I get healthy chicks ready to get on with learning to be chickens, so the extra cost is worth it to me. When it's colder out, such as when I ordered chicks for delivery the first week in March, I had to order more than the 8 that I got in my second order. The more chicks in the box, the warmer they stay during shipping, and I received my first batch when it was 9 below zero! In that shipment I did lose a couple, but I have the post office to thank for that - they were delayed at the sorting facility in Casper, Wyoming for an extra full day and night, and as I said it was cold, cold cold! Every time I've ordered pullets, that's exactly what I've received....all pullets. Not so with the feed store chicks I bought. <sigh> I've know not everyone has been that lucky getting all pullets, but that's how it's been for me.

6. PrincessLaundry

PrincessLaundry Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2015
    If you are anywhere near Pensacola I am looking into doing a replacement order on Monday. Please feel free to contact me.

7. Cheetah1

Cheetah1 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2015
    Thanks all of you, I will look into My Pet Chicken. It seems like it will work. If it doesn't I will just get 25 and sell some, I live somewhere selling them can be really easy. Anyways happy holidays. :D

8. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  9. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    <head slap - why don't we have a head slap smiley, anyway?> I should have mentioned the same possibility and just plain spaced it! Good thing so many of you have Blooie's back, on accounta I sometimes ain't sure where her brain is......

10. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    I use this one for those moments [​IMG] I use it quite frequently. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by