1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where did you find a styrofoam cooler?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Andora, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I can't find a good sized one.

I got one at Walmart but it's pretty tiny. I went ahead and set everything up in it just to see if I could get it running and I'm working on getting the temps regulated. I saw where some have asked at Walmart for the coolers they ship the fishing worms in, but our Walmart has HORRIBLE customer service. Asking anything there is like asking a magic 8 ball. The workers are totally clueless.

I think I might ask at Petsmart. If I have no luck, do you think a liquor store or a gas station would sell a larger styrofoam cooler? I could just buy a regular plastic cooler but I don't know how to cut into it and my DH has been busy building my second coop all weekend...he's iffy about me building an incubator in the first place. He keeps saying my plan to get 6-10 hens is escalating and out of control. Can't imagine where he would get an idea like that. Humph. (I have about 30 birds right now. [​IMG] and we got ducks too...)

Somehow I don't think he'd be too excited to have to carve into a cooler for me. [​IMG] He also would not want me to play with his tools, as I am known for creating disasters. [​IMG]

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Try your vet we use to get in huge med orders in these really big thick sturdy styro containers... Worth a shot mos will prob give em to you..

3. Keisha

Keisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    Ive seen them at the goodwill, & farm fleet stores. I"d call around and ask to see if anyone has them.

4. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    For the heavier/larger coolers try baitshops, BassPro shops, etc.,...

Also, tourist traps along the beaches...

Ed

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  5. illinichick

illinichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    Most gas stations, convenience stores have them .

6. Panther Creek Poultry

Panther Creek Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Clarksburg, MO
    I got mine from our vet, free of charge. I found that the styro was hard to clean, so i went to walmart and bought a regular cooler. Very easy to cut into as the outside are just thin plastic and between the plastic is just regular foam. They are much easier to clean because of the plastic insides and work excellent!

7. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Mine came from an Omaha steak order. This is an amazingly thick and perfect size bator styro.

I agree too with Petsmart. I used to work there and when we got in fish orders, they came in nice styros and we usually got 10 or 12 at a time.

8. AnconaDuck

AnconaDuck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    MI
    Quote:Same here, or garbage piles [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by