Where did you get your chickens?

rolffamily

Songster
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
Wisconsin
There are many, many of you that have an assortment of chickens. Some of you have five chickens - all different. How do you do it? Do you go to swaps? Do you check Craiglist? How?

There are lots of options.

Hatcheries, Craigslist, BYC, ordering eggs and hatching your own etc.

We live in a rural area and we have an advertiser type weekly newspaper that has a poultry section.

I see you are in WI as well. Do you get the Advertiser? Not sure where you are located, but they have them for different regions. Here is the link.

http://www.iccpaonline.com/

Last edited:
McMurray. I say they are awesome
thumbsup.gif

5 from feed store (hatchery), 3 from breeder, 2 from show, 2 from breeder, 1 from friend.
you could order many different breeds all at once from a hatchery or just take it slow; you will acquire them naturally if you turn into a poultry person!

my first OEGB's were from a couple feedstores... i guess local "propagators" trade them in for food or stuff... so most of my hens and two of my roo's came from there... but my other pairs and trios off ovabid, feather auction, and breeders with websites and such...

my future layers came from a local hatcher/farm an hour and a half away... http://odysseyranch.com/Poultry.html i got a bunch of blue cochins...

pretty soon i'm going to start ordering eggs from here BYC and some from ebay to fill up the 'bators...

My original flock came from someone on craigslist that was selling various breeds of chickens. I know more about chickens now and would never buy from a guy like that again, though I WOULD buy from someone on craigslist after I'd checked them out a bit. Now that I know more about chooks, I know what to look for and what to believe and NOT believe. My last four chickens have come from fellow BYCers, and now we have eggs in the bator also from a fellow BYCer that we'll be hatching out.

The fun thing about hatching is you totally know where your birds come from, all about their health and care and feeding from day 1.

Feedstore, local woman (who got hers from a hatchery) breeder
thumbsup.gif
, and Craig's List
By far my nicest birds have been eggs I bought online from Pips & Peeps --super nice, quality birds.

Ive used hatcheries... just to get stock I know are pure and not mixed. I keep the chickens separated, and I have a few pens with Mixed breeds. I have 1 pen that has a Wonderful Blue Cochin Male with 3 different large very broody hens. I found 3 wonderful hens at the local feed stores, the hens each came from a different store, one was about 15 miles away, 1 hen was about 40 miles away, and the last one was about 25 miles away.

Sometimes you run into a chicken you just have to buy.... Eventually you find a place for the chicken.

Back
Top Bottom